Who inspired you to play a boogie?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
White Zombie - Astro Creep 2000

Saw in the liner notes that J. Yuenger used Mesa Boogie and had to have one...

I grew up in Marin and Sonoma counties. In 1978, I bought Amos Garett's famous '57 Epiphone Sheraton from a guy who had bought it from Martin Mull. He had two Boogies in his house in the hills. That was the first time I actually saw one live. I have to admit that local guy Carlos Santana was the sound of the day. Also, I saw Larry Carlton play at the UC Davis coffee house when he first released his original solo album, and he had two boogies on stage. So, Carlton and Santana.

The next year, I took my Dual Showman head to Prune Music in Mill Valley, which Randy Smith owned and where he first started hotrodding Fenders. His protege, Sal Trentino, did a Boogie-ization of my Showman and I was hooked on the sound. One year later, I ordered a Mark IIB from the factory, and drove up to Petaluma to pick it up in early '81 and talked with Randy.

I have played Mesas continuously since my college days, and now live in Petaluma about 2 miles from Mecca.

Carlos!!!! That was my 1st impression of a Boogie!

But....I was playing a Marshall TSL-122 at the time and just couldn't get a heavy enough sound out of it.
A good friend of mine had 2 Rev G Dual Rectifiers.
We traded straight across, my Marshall combo for a DR head and a 1x12 3/4 back cab.
I was hooked!!!!!!!!

I've owned almost every model that Mesa has made. Wish I could keep them all, but I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth! :lol:

So far, my favorites are the DC-10 & the Heartbreaker, although the T-Verb is a close 2nd!

By the way Babow2,
I've always felt honored that you live so close to the factory and yet you send your amps to me!
Glad I don't live there, Randy would have a restraining order on me for excessive drooling!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

DRG14 said:
Soon to follow were Stryper, Anthrax, Metallica (MoP & AJFA), & John Sykes. Yeah, my age is showing... Even though I had come to the boogie camp wanting to emulate those tones, over time I have come to appreciate the full palette of tone that the boogie amp can offer.

Boogie all the way, baby!!! :D
What amps do Anthrax use? I love some of their tones.

Personally I wasn't influenced to buy my Mark IV by any player. I asked about if the Mark IV would suit me due to its versatility on another forum, and everyone there agreed that it was likely what I needed.

Nobody, really. I was looking for an amp with a great clean sound and a great dirty sound. Something that I thought was impossible. Just a good all around rock, blues, jazz, etc... amp.

That pretty much sums it up for me as well. The Boogies have the sweet cleans, great soft clip blues tones and mondo mayhem distortion all in one box! Their feel and responsiveness to your pick attack has always been one of the greatest qualities of Mesa Boogie amps. I've also really liked all of the rear panel features that Randall Smith has incorporated into his products. It always seemed that with most amplifier brands (especially in the past) all of the amp's functions were all on the front panel and thats all you got- turn them around and you had a speaker jack, footswitch jack and a fuse-- and that was it! It took someone like Randy to realize that we needed some interface with our tone... remote switching jacks, power amp options, tube array options and yes, the glorious comeback of the tube rectifier!! (which every other amp company is now attempting to incorporate in their products)

In a nutshell, versatility rules.

-DLM

Jeff Loomis.
I heard the Remix of "Enemies of Reality" and then I heard "Dead Heart in a Dead world" and I thought "hmmmmmmmm... I like that" :D
Then I got into DT and Petruccis tones just wowed me.
so here I am.

METALLICA!

ha, master of puppets man. me and my buddy would just listen to that cd just to listen to the guitar tones man.

Four or Five years ago I started researching what amps my Favorite bands or guitarist played and found out that 80% of the bands- guitarists I listen to use or have used Mesa Boogie, so pretty much that was the reason I bought a Mark IV
too many bands or players to list, many of you know who uses boogie.

MetalMofo said:
METALLICA!

ha, master of puppets man. me and my buddy would just listen to that cd just to listen to the guitar tones man.
Hell Yeah! Same here except AJFA. :twisted: :twisted:

local cats for me, and some are b members!!I was fried,died,and laid to the side the day I heard Joey B.'s MkI.....Greg Bozeman had some Boogie love in the aforementioned GT"S Music Store, and I could listen to him for days on end talk about/play booog's....JAY bought a DC combo which slayed my MArshall.....he made me a killer deal on it and I was bitten...years go by, talk to my boys again-the IIC+ serpent latched on full tilt after I reunited with my old friends, which led me to this board-went to a cool axe store today where we all proudly diplayed some of our amps during a local amp summit(which had 75-100 vintage amps..), and there were three guys there today who attended..they all called me the "BOOGIE MAN"..HELLYEAH :D
...BTW,Joey and Jay....yall remember David Champion's bro in law??he had a killer Mk I combo and lots of $$$$...cant recall his name..that was the 1st time I ever played thru one...

Metallica
ketiov said:
DRG14 said:
Soon to follow were Stryper, Anthrax, Metallica (MoP & AJFA), & John Sykes. Yeah, my age is showing... Even though I had come to the boogie camp wanting to emulate those tones, over time I have come to appreciate the full palette of tone that the boogie amp can offer.

Boogie all the way, baby!!! :D
What amps do Anthrax use? I love some of their tones.

Personally I wasn't influenced to buy my Mark IV by any player. I asked about if the Mark IV would suit me due to its versatility on another forum, and everyone there agreed that it was likely what I needed.

If you're thinking of their older stuff, it was Mark III's and marshalls. The Mark III is very easy to pick out of the mix. It brutally cuts through. Now I think they use Randalls. Not bad sounding amps, but face it, The mark III owns thrash!

oh yes GT'S music was the first place I heard a boogie a Mark I. It might be the one Joey B. got back in the day. I remember Greg firing it up in the back room with a Les Paul and it was the loudest best sounding amp I had heard. For a teenager they were too expensive and always wanted one and did get a DC-5 from him later. But hearing Joey B.'s Mark I so much made me get one and get the sickness for which there is no cure. And to lesterpaul for getting me started playing guitar with his Yamaha guitar and Kent amp that could shock the fire out of you if you weren't careful. Oh the good ol days.

jay said:
And to lesterpaul for getting me started playing guitar with his Yamaha guitar and Kent amp that could shock the fire out of you if you weren't careful. Oh the good ol days.

...oh, the KENT!!!once in a blue moon, there was voodoo in that thing-i remember you bought an SG....after one session, you were all over "Needle and the Spoon"...ureka!!I knew we stumbled upon something magical(kudos to TWitt for the "rig"....we both sported those ss MArsh 12 watters..!)..which brings me to the bonus round--Jay, what was the name of the cat who played with greg with the killer voice/black LP Custom/12 watt MArsh/from Detroit,was it??

Although I was attracted to Carlos and Brad what really made me crave a Boogie was another amp that I had! I don’t know how many of you remember the “Seymour Duncan Convertible”. For those of you who don’t and are a little curios http://www.diyguitarist.com/GuitarAmps/Convert.htm

Basically a 2 channel amp 4xEL34 power section, the preamp section consisted of 5 preamp modules all of the modules had a 12AX7 on them. The modules came in different flavors (wired a little differentially) but depending on what you had and what order you put them in it was a night and day difference in the sound and behavior of the amp.

Anyway after getting a module called the (hyper-high gain) and after a few days of placement test, by accident, I pretty much nailed a Boogie type tone. After that I had to have the real thing! The SDC is long gone to help finance my first Boogie a .22 cal+.

wow that's crazy was thinking about that dude the other day. I heard an Allman Brothers song and thought of him. Mike Simmons-played through 2 Marshall 12watt mini stacks-had a killer voice and played slide like Duane. I think he is still around here.

jay said:
wow that's crazy was thinking about that dude the other day. I heard an Allman Brothers song and thought of him. Mike Simmons-played through 2 Marshall 12watt mini stacks-had a killer voice and played slide like Duane. I think he is still around here.
bingo!!was talking to a guy named scott miller(had the 70's MArshalls at the show...selling a beige tolex '78 50 watter right now,btw..)-played in White Dog with Boze...we were trying to figure out that dude's name!one of the best I have seen/vocals and chops

lesterpaul said:
jay said:
bingo!!was talking to a guy named scott miller(had the 70's MArshalls at the show...selling a beige tolex '78 50 watter right now,btw..)-played in White Dog with Boze...we were trying to figure out that dude's name!one of the best I have seen/vocals and chops

Mike, I am going to have to put both you and Jay in the penalty box for double hijacking :lol: .
I never saw Mike Simmons play through a Boogie, EVER. I wish he would have, though. 8)

GIG4FUN said:
hyjackin' hi jinx
I want to move to Alabama and hang with the mafia...
...hurry,Gig4,space is limited...the first arrivals will all be awarded with one of these after initiation into the NAMM(warning...small animals MAY be harmed...)

017-2.jpg

Back