Who here uses an outboard EQ with their Mesa?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when people say they use an eq to "tighten up the bass" or "remove flub", what does that mean exactly as it relates to eq settings? Are you bass frequencies going up or down on an eq?

EleventhHour,

I would kill to have the mids from my old Mk III back along with the crushing power of my Triple Rec. I, too, have a Boss EQ-20 but unfortunately because my Recto's loop is parallel, I can't use it with that amp, so I use other EQ's instead. I use the EQ-20 with my B-52 100w combo and it makes that amp sound just as crushing as any setting I ever use on my Mesa. When I really want to engage in ostentatious overkill, I run my guitar's signal into a Boss Supershifter first, then each of the stereo signals goes into a separate amp. I set the Triple Rec for all the crushing but mudless bass growl and the B-52 for thick, rich mids and singing harmonics. The effect is kinda like running a souped-up Marshall and a Recto in stereo. I can be a one-man metal machine! :p

jab,

Both of those phrases refer to removing the mud-causing frequencies by cutting them. Usually, in guitar speakers, that range of frequencies is anywhere from 180Hz to 300Hz, depending on the cab, the speakers, and the biasing of the preamp's tone stack. Most often, and definitely in the Rectos, mud mostly lives at 200-250Hz. Try cutting those frequencies by only 2 dB at a time until you get an acceptable tone. Any more than this and you risk cutting too much, making your tone lose needed warmth and balls.

Chris McKinley said:
EleventhHour,

I would kill to have the mids from my old Mk III back along with the crushing power of my Triple Rec. I, too, have a Boss EQ-20 but unfortunately because my Recto's loop is parallel, I can't use it with that amp, so I use other EQ's instead. I use the EQ-20 with my B-52 100w combo and it makes that amp sound just as crushing as any setting I ever use on my Mesa. When I really want to engage in ostentatious overkill, I run my guitar's signal into a Boss Supershifter first, then each of the stereo signals goes into a separate amp. I set the Triple Rec for all the crushing but mudless bass growl and the B-52 for thick, rich mids and singing harmonics. The effect is kinda like running a souped-up Marshall and a Recto in stereo. I can be a one-man metal machine! :p

Sounds sick man! B-52 + Recto = :twisted: :twisted:! I love the mids from the Mark III, but for playing metal I've found that cutting back just a bit on the mids does wonders for me and really thickens things up while bringing a lot of clarity to complex palm-muted parts. That being said, for AC/DC stuff, no eq on R2 kills! I would love to run a two amp setup, but I think my next amp aquisition will probably be a LSC to use for cleans. If only I had the scratch to run a Dual or Triple with this baby as well, that would be 8)

I use a dbx 231 eq. I use it to cut the mid bass fuzz and the upper highs that create fizz. Its alot more precise than a 7 or 10 band eq and more like a scalpel instead of a hatchet when cutting or boosting your toanz. :lol: I normally cut out more bass in the recto cuz it just becomes overly muddy for my setup and then i try to boost the upper mids a smidge its defintely worth it. The dbx also comes with a low cut filter that frees up headroom, and an additional gain knob, and its adjustable 6 or 12dbs.

Back