Who doesn't use Celestion V30's with their Mark?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gts said:
Perhaps I should have said The terms "Driver" and "Speaker" are USED synonymously.
Yes technically they are not the same thing but are often used synonymously.
Obviously this was not your intent.

cremona said:
Hmm no its not the same thing, the are two out of several components that make up the sound of what we call a speaker.

A example my sonus faber Cremona hifi speakers have two 6.5 inch scanspeak revolator bass drivers one scanspeak revelator 5.5 inch midrange driver and one neo dynamic tweeter also from scanspeak , and a first order crossover with mundorf supreem caps.

You can find 10 speakers that have that config , but the sound hugly different because the cabinet is different and different crossover`s.

The boogie cabs has four 12 inch celestion vintage 30`drivers. ( and no crossover )

Its the synagi and resonance between the drivers and cabinet dimensions , construktion and back plate that makes up the sound, Not just the individuel drivers.

Sorry somtimes my english skills dont cut it , im danish :wink:

I recorded a cover of Lamb of god's song today. crate cab with warehouse speakers. Just guitar into mark iv. No effects. Just some serious sloppy playing that's all. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLC_DLrbPe0

straitouttahell said:
JimmyB said:
straitouttahell said:
The EVM12L is just "the" Mark speaker, IMO.
For Marks II, III and IV, absolutely. :mrgreen:

For the Mk V, sadly... not so much. :(

Since we are in "Vintage Amps" part of the forum, I already assumed that :D
True, but it was a huge disappointment to run a Mk V head through an EVM Thiele and wonder why it sounded 'meh' at best, and 'blechhhhh' at worst. :shock:

gts said:
Masterof1angel said:
V30s sounded best with my MKIV and t-75's with my V. I have yet to find what works with my IIC+.
-Angel
As mentioned the EV12L and MS-12 were meant to be used with the C+.

I once had the chance to use Mesa Traditional 4x12 (oversized) closed back loaded with V30's and was pleasantly surprised.
It was very unexpected based on all I had read. I thought it sounded pretty good.
Then again this was NOT in a band mix and I got to play it inside a large warehouse. I liked it enough that I considered buying it but the deal fell through.

I did try some V30's (circa 1991) in an older Metal grille Mesa 4x12 and didn't like them at all.
So speaker AND cabinet need to be considered. Not just the speaker alone.

In general for a Mark trying the EV is a must.

Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind.

-Angel

Latest posts

Back