Which tubes for MKIII

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossettaStoned

Reaction score
Got a green stripe recently that needs to go to a tech because of some strange background noises and I'm really considering not keeping it if I can't get it to sound like what I want. So just wondering if there is any combination of tubes that you guys know of that would help it? It's really in the low end sort of clarity and tightness that it's lacking. I'm after the same sort of percussive crunch and clarity that's shown in this video at the 4:16 area playing Pull Me Under.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=i24e8icZG1o#t=256s

I can get the same kind of attack but I get a gritty, distorted low end fuzz when palm mutes ring. I know I don't have a Mark V or IIC+ and if I simply can't get that with the III then that's fine. I just want to try before I decide to get rid of it.

What are your settings? I noticed that when the bass knob is too high it gets really fizzy/flubby.

i am not aware of any tone you can not get with a Mark III - although you might not be able to get two tones that are very distinct and usable at the same time. this amp is very changeable with the settings alone. if you have not already downloaded the suggested settings from the Mesa website - do so now and use those as a starting point.

secondly, do a site search here for Mark III settings. many members have posted their exact settings for certain tones with their guitar rigs which do give you some alternatives. you did not mention your rig setup ...

lastly, get in touch with Doug's tubes - he has a good selection of tube setups for more aggressive or less aggressive tones for the Mark III.

good luck.

The best my Mark III ever sounded was with Winged C 6l6's, a Tung Sol in V1 and JJ's in the rest of the preamp. I'm currently running three year old ruby tubes 6l6's and they sound like crap right now; very flubby bass like you are talking about. It's time for new tubes for me as well, I'm thinking about trying a pair of Kt77's out along with the Doug's tube preamp cocktail.

I like my Mark best with the Mesa-branded =C=s in the power amp section, and as far as the preamp goes, I got all sorts of stuff in there...all Mesa-branded Russian IIs, Sovtek and Rubys...

Latest posts

Back