Which tubes for a Studio22+ ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrmot

Reaction score
Okay, i finally got the Studio 22+ combo (it IS a "+" altho when i phoned the guy he said that it doesn't have the second channel volume control) and now i'm thinking on changing the tubes... the tubes in there are(preamp) 2 Ei, 2 Tungsram and one i can't identify, poweramp tubes are Mesa, but all of this tubes look very very old..

I was thinking going with four EHX 12AX7 and one 12AT7 for reverb, and JJ EL84.. any suggestions?

i play mostly hard-rock/metal, level of gain I guess about Metallica's "Black Album", i use clean also, but not so much, lead is more important

I think the EHX / JJ combo would sound good, assuming you end up with a good set.

I'm running all Mesa tubes and it sounds fantastic (I have one of the first ones ever made, so it's not a "plus" model).

Mrmot said:
Okay, i finally got the Studio 22+ combo (it IS a "+" altho when i phoned the guy he said that it doesn't have the second channel volume control)
I have one too, Yes there's only one master volume that govern overall volume both clean and drive. Its similiar like a Mark III rhythm channel only => two modes: clean and drive.

Mrmot said:
i play mostly hard-rock/metal, level of gain I guess about Metallica's "Black Album", i use clean also, but not so much, lead is more important
Set the EQ to its popular "V" shape to get a metal sound.

Thanks guys.
Has anyone tried replacing the speaker to get tighter lows?

I'm able to get all the sounds I want using a 90W Celestion Black Shadow. The guitar's pickups seem to make a big difference, too. The Anderson pickups just sound better than anything else I've tried.

Latest posts

Back