Which speaker is better, Black Shadow MS-12 or EV 12L?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mreeve25

Reaction score
I was wondering, and wanting some opinions on what speaker is better, the Black Shadow MS-12 (the one with the horse), or the EV 12L, and why you think so.

All responses are appreciated.

The EVM is probably the cleanest, least colored speaker you'll find, adding very little of its own flavor to the amplifier. It provides tight boomy bass and clear, crisp highs without the icepicks. It's a good compliment to the Mark amps because the EVM is a good match for articulate amps. The MS-12 is a bit more mid-range focused and adds just a hint of blurring of notes. It's not as crisp as the EVM, but it has a very nice character. I started out being a big EVM fan, but recently I've grown very attached to my MS-12. I think of the EVM as sounding Fendery, whereas the MS-12 is a bit Marshally.

Hi,
Just looking for some info. I came across a Mesa-labelled MS-12 (ribbed). I have the serial number, but when I took it out of the cab, there was no other way to determine the date on it - nothing on the speaker, magnet, cone or basket. Anyone have any ideas? I know this may not be exactly the right thread, bu thought I'd start here.

rivertramp said:
Hi,
Just looking for some info. I came across a Mesa-labelled MS-12 (ribbed). I have the serial number, but when I took it out of the cab, there was no other way to determine the date on it - nothing on the speaker, magnet, cone or basket. Anyone have any ideas? I know this may not be exactly the right thread, bu thought I'd start here.
Why are you concerned about the date? I don't think they've made these for many years.

Re: concerned about the date.
I'm not really, just curious to find out when it was made.

i prefer to think that your ears are the determining factor about what sounds best. in my Mk III purple combo i have the MS-12. it will be the last i i would ever sell. just love the way it sounds. i also have a vert cab 2x12 with a evm-12 in it. sounds great.

of course, your musical style would make a major difference to the speaker you think sounds better. i played through a couple of cabs loaded with v30s that my friends swore was the best ever. i thought they sucked. YMMV. good luck.

Latest posts

Back