which reverb for recto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoneOfFire

Reaction score
which reverb can i use in the loop that wont take away so much tone?

this amp sounds great with this new nady parametric in the loop, but with drums it just.. isnt the same. im hoping adding reverb wont further this problem. (maybe i should compare it to the MXR-10?)

i want to convert the effects loop to serial, for the eq.
would this be a bad idea for the verb?

ive asked around and was told to find this "holy grail"..
but.. its a pedal..
can it be good?

i dont wanna ruin this great sound with more cheap crap.

StoneOfFire,

RE: "this amp sounds great with this new nady parametric in the loop, but with drums it just.. isnt the same.". The most common complaint of this type results when the guitarist has set his bass and presence frequencies such that they compete with the drummer's kick drum and cymbals, respectively. To further complicate matters, the guitarist has also frequently scooped his mids, such that the remaining frequency range in which his signal is unchallenged, the mids, disappears and the result is that his guitar vanishes in the mix.

If the above describes your situation, then switching to another EQ will not solve the problem. You will simply need to cut back on your bass frequencies and your presence and boost your mids back up where they belong so that you can be heard.

Reverb, in and of itself, will do nothing to solve the problem, but it generally won't worsen it significantly as long as the mix of wet-to-dry signal isn't too high.

RE: "i want to convert the effects loop to serial, for the eq.". If your EQ is digital, this will be not just an improvement, but a necessity in order to avoid the phase squeal noise that can occur due to the small lag in digital effects. Such a conversion will be just as necessary for a digital reverb for the same reasons.

RE: "ive asked around and was told to find this "holy grail"..but.. its a pedal.. can it be good?". In a word, yes. In fact, for many types of effects, I would consider the fact that it's a dedicated pedal a plus. Boutique single-effect pedals often surpass their rack unit or multi-effect counterparts in terms of effect quality, and the Holy Grail is a good example.

Ultimately, it's a matter of how much money you have to invest and in your personal tonal preference. One caveat when testing any of them out is do not run them before the guitar's preamp. All reverbs are designed to sound their best at the end of the signal chain, and in the case of a live rig, this usually means putting them at the end of the effects chain within the effects loop. Some people aren't aware of this, so my apologies if this is already obvious to you.

Do you want the reverb for what channel man? Remember, there is no need to use reverb with high gain tones, it will only get you far in the mix and without definition.

VijfZiel,

RE: "Remember, there is no need to use reverb with high gain tones, it will only get you far in the mix and without definition.". That's an incorrect and ham-handed statement. You're describing only what happens when you overuse reverb, and it applies equally to overuse of reverb on the clean channel.

Especially for recording purposes, a modest use of reverb can keep your high-gain guitar parts from sounding bone dry and amateurish in production quality. Reverb isn't only for sounding like you're guitar was recorded several miles away in a cathedral. But it can help you avoid sounding like your guitar was recorded in an apartment closet with a cheap mic duct-taped to the grill and nothing else.

Both extremes can sound artificial, cheap and amateurish. Just like with any effect, tasteful use is the key.

reverb used right is a beautiful thing. although i dont like the roadster's reverb for cleans or leads, i use a very clight touch of it on my rhythm channels and it works wonders to give the tone a very 3D feel while remaining super tight with no mud.

as for good reverb pedals i would check out the Tech 21 Boost R.V.B which is an insanely good pedal for adding reverb and a slight boost to leads. The T-Rex Tube Reverb is very good as well but is too expensive for my blood.

Chris McKinley said:
VijfZiel,

RE: "Remember, there is no need to use reverb with high gain tones, it will only get you far in the mix and without definition.". That's an incorrect and ham-handed statement. You're describing only what happens when you overuse reverb, and it applies equally to overuse of reverb on the clean channel.

Especially for recording purposes, a modest use of reverb can keep your high-gain guitar parts from sounding bone dry and amateurish in production quality. Reverb isn't only for sounding like you're guitar was recorded several miles away in a cathedral. But it can help you avoid sounding like your guitar was recorded in an apartment closet with a cheap mic duct-taped to the grill and nothing else.

In musical production the reverb has no other use than that. The spaciosness and depth is given with the acoustics of the room itself. In one thing you are right, in excess nothing sounds good...
Both extremes can sound artificial, cheap and amateurish. Just like with any effect, tasteful use is the key.

Fender Reverb Unit - reissue .. All tube, its like adding another tube based circuit into your amp. I stick in the effects loop all by itself. Its warm sounding and is completely adjustable to add the perfect amount of thickening to the tone. Very nice reverb. It beats anything else I've tried. I can even get a nice little 'slap back' echo thing going with a little tweaking.

As we all do not look for the same things, results may vary according to tastes.

More Hints From Heloise:
How loud are you playing? Any effects are just going to add mud to the mix the louder you play. I often gig with a very loud and busy drummer, and as mentioned above, too little midrange and (IMHO) too many "wet" effects, and your sound vanishes.
Sounds tweaked in the bedroom never sound good in a band situation. Never.
When you turn up the masters, and the power tubes begin to distort, turn down the pre-amp gain for less mud.
And... baking soda and vinegar will clean almost anything...

Back