which pick ups are best for all types of rock

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
can anyone please tell me, which pick ups would be good for all types of rock, and also would have extra noise reduction, and also a good neck pick up for speed soloing and fast shredding.
I need it for Gibson sg special faded and i play it through a crate flexwave 120w half stack

whichever ones you like the most.

There is no best. You may like a JB/Jazz set of a Custom/Anlico Pro set.

best bang for buck:

Bill Lawrence L500L, 500C, 500R

http://pub123.ezboard.com/fguitarsbyfenderfrm8

EMG makes more than the 81/85 combo. You might check out some of their other options. If you want to go passive check out Alneco II pickups, they are very easy to work with, you can grab great harmonics with some gain and they clean up awesome. I think Slash uses them you might check out some of his tones. Later

gonzo said:
best bang for buck:

Bill Lawrence L500L, 500C, 500R

http://pub123.ezboard.com/fguitarsbyfenderfrm8

+1

Bill Lawrence's are fucking awesome. They are leagues better than more expensive Duncans or other pickups. They are truly versatile pickups. They are crisp and clean. As far as shredding/solo these are perfect. Dimebag Darrel of Pantera used the 500L.

L-500L-83-topfront.jpg

iceman7.jpg

dmt said:
Bill Lawrence's are f%&# awesome. They are leagues better than more expensive Duncans or other pickups. They are truly versatile pickups. They are crisp and clean. As far as shredding/solo these are perfect. Dimebag Darrel of Pantera used the 500L.

Until he went to Seymour Duncan that is.

Another interesting point: Dime didnt use the authentic Bill Lawrence pickups...he used the fake ones. I am not sure he should be held up as a guy with great tone...sounded thin and transistor-like to me.

i agree with Rocky- there is no best. tone is subjective. i CAN say that a good, all-round pickup for rock is the Duncan JB. Back in the early nineties my two main guitars were a '92 PRS custom, and an American Standard Strat w/a JB in the bridge. my bandmates loved the sound of the JB Strat over the PRS which kind of ticked me off because, 1) the PRS cost me way more! and, 2) i agreed with them!

Rocky said:
dmt said:
Bill Lawrence's are f%&# awesome. They are leagues better than more expensive Duncans or other pickups. They are truly versatile pickups. They are crisp and clean. As far as shredding/solo these are perfect. Dimebag Darrel of Pantera used the 500L.

Until he went to Seymour Duncan that is.

Another interesting point: Dime didnt use the authentic Bill Lawrence pickups...he used the fake ones. I am not sure he should be held up as a guy with great tone...sounded thin and transistor-like to me.

He did not use the fake ones. At the time there was only one Bill Lawrence company. The split happened later. So, yes they are the original Bill Lawrence pickups (that BL USA makes now and are horrible now).

Notice in this pic the CHROME housing. That is only offered on the ORIGINAL pickups. (And now the Authentic ones from the man himself)

youngdimebag.jpg

diamondd1992new1.jpg

ddarrell1992new.jpg

Showing one guitar over and over doesnt really mean much....the top pic is all you really have.

take a look at some of his other guitars, especially during his Washburn phase, the BL's in them are the fakes not the real ones. It is all academic anyway.....he dropped the BL's and went with Duncans.

I have a duncan distortion and a Korean sweat shop duncan invader aka detonator. I got the detonator for twelve bucks working at guitar center and it does pretty well, even with a coil split. I appreciate the tone of both far more than the stacked dimarzio humbuckers I used to use.

All and all it depends on what sound you're leaning towards and what amp you'll be playing on. You're not going to notice as much of a difference in guitar/pickups on your solid state crate as you will most all tubes. Active pickups like EMGs are going to give you the most noticeable difference on your crate. However, your stock Gibson pickups are going to have a quality sound on a better amp.

I would also say -JB/59 combo, its pretty versatile, from blues,modern rock to metal..

i have the jb/jazz combo and it is extremely versatile, and i have them wired with push pulls for a coil tapping on both humbuckers and series/parallel options as well, very very versatile, and for 150 bucks total, good price versus some gibson pups

I have a Carvin C22B and Dimarzio area 58s in my strat which sounds good, SD 59s in my Hamer, SD Jazz in the neck and Custom 5 in my Edwards, SD Alnico II Pro in the neck and Custom Custom in my Carvin, whatever came in my Tele and have had EMGs in both my Carvin and Strat (81 bridge 89 neck) and while I got tired of the EMGs I really like the others. I don't have one guitar that I use for all types of music. Instead I have 5 drastically different guitars (Strat, Tele, 2 humbucker solid body archtop, 2 humbucker semi-hollow and 24 fret neck-through shredder) that cover a very large range of genres. You're just going to have to figure out what you want your guitar to do. As far as extra noise reduction the only pickups that offer that are actives. You might want to try out some Seymour Duncan Blackouts. They're supposed to be pretty awesome.

I prefer Seymour Duncan Blackouts or EMGs. I have Duncan JBs in my King V but I have a set of blackouts on order for it. The JBs just don't have enough gain for me, they have a great tone but to little gain. The Blackouts have the Duncan tone with the gain.

themisfit138 said:
I prefer Seymour Duncan Blackouts or EMGs. I have Duncan JBs in my King V but I have a set of blackouts on order for it. The JBs just don't have enough gain for me, they have a great tone but to little gain. The Blackouts have the Duncan tone with the gain.

Why didn't you get the Mustaines. The bridge pickup is voiced like a JB with more gain so I think it'd be right up your alley.

Latest posts

Back