Which pedal comes closest to the Mk IIC+ lead tone for you?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revgsmall

Reaction score
Lets say we are plugging into a clean twin, what pedal for you comes closest to your Mk IIC+ lead channel? For me its the Fulltone Fulldrive II but its been a long time since I went pedal shopping.

I have boxes and boxes of effects, boost, overdrive pedals etc, but with the C+ I go
cord to input. As for trying to cop a C+ vibe without EQ I would try a Hermida Zen Drive.
Second place is an older BB Preamp, say 2006-2007.

From the Youtube reviews I saw the Providence Stampede Overdrive seems to have a bit of the Boogie Mark II bark, although the gain is moderate, maybe one of these stacked with another boost/overdrive in front would get close?? I was thinking about getting one to try but never did so can't say from first hand experience, worth a look though.

Boogiebabies said:
I have boxes and boxes of effects, boost, overdrive pedals etc, but with the C+ I go
cord to input. As for trying to cop a C+ vibe without EQ I would try a Hermida Zen Drive.

I've had both of those, good pedals but I still like the Fulltone Fulldrive II as it seems to have more mids that sounds closest to my Mk II. The Zendrive for me was not very responsive to touch as everyone touts it to be in my opinion. The BB was much more touch sensitive but the output was more on the sizzle side of things, rather the mid range kick in the *** vibe

Rob Lockwood said:
From the Youtube reviews I saw the Providence Stampede Overdrive seems to have a bit of the Boogie Mark II bark, although the gain is moderate, maybe one of these stacked with another boost/overdrive in front would get close?? I was thinking about getting one to try but never did so can't say from first hand experience, worth a look though.
Thanks I'll peek into that one. Thanks for the headsup.

revgsmall said:
Lets say we are plugging into a clean twin, what pedal for you comes closest to your Mk IIC+ lead channel? For me its the Fulltone Fulldrive II but its been a long time since I went pedal shopping.

Yesterday I would've said f-o-r-g-e-t it. But on youtube I fell over some Fender Bassman and Deluxe Reverb *pedals* yes pedals made by Boss. And I thought WOW - wait a minute - this is pretty interesting. (I've always wanted a BFDR...) so if they can do it for Fender maybe someone can do it for Boogie?

I have a Fulldrive II and a Mark IIC+ I honestly do not think the FD2 sounds anything like the C+. Maybe my ears need tweaking???

My son uses a Roland JC77 - we tried a RAT2 and the FD2, the Rat2 was closer to the ball park.

Cheers.

A cool thing I tried was a Fulltone OCD, my favorite mid-gain pedal inline with
a Fulltone 70' fuzz. On the fuzz, I run the fuzz at 0, adjust the volume and use the mid
control to bring it out more in the mix. Not really a IIC+, but using the 70' as a mid boost
works for me.

A_Ryder said:
revgsmall said:

Yesterday I would've said f-o-r-g-e-t it. But on youtube I fell over some Fender Bassman and Deluxe Reverb *pedals* yes pedals made by Boss. And I thought WOW - wait a minute - this is pretty interesting. (I've always wanted a BFDR...) so if they can do it for Fender maybe someone can do it for Boogie?

I have a Fulldrive II and a Mark IIC+ I honestly do not think the FD2 sounds anything like the C+. Maybe my ears need tweaking???

My son uses a Roland JC77 - we tried a RAT2 and the FD2, the Rat2 was closer to the ball park.

Cheers.
Oh I am quite aware that pedals don't have the complexity (at least all the ones I tried) of the MarkIIc+. I'm just trying to update my substitute gear where I can't bring the Boogie along. Up to this point its been the Fulldrive II with I think most of the knobs set at about 1 o clock into a rented/requested twin. I turn the Fender mid knob way up to 8-10 and that is a big help in trying to get into Boogie Land.

I can come fairly close with the above mentioned gear. I have some video footage of me doing just that. I'll try and find it and post.

On a pedal note: Is there one out there that has some control knobs over the mids? For me that's the most important knob on a IIC+. Most everything else changes very little but I really tweak the mid knob.

Well, the new BB Preamp does have an available mid boost, but I don't like the tone of
the newer ones. I have the original versions in copper and silver. To my ears, the Fulltone
does work really well not only as a mid boost, but the proof is in the tone being louder and with some more bark.

After A/B some amps with many of the mentioned pedals, I conclude there is only one way to
nail the C+ sound. With a C+. I guess your stuck with her !!!!!

Boogiebabies said:
After A/B some amps with many of the mentioned pedals, I conclude there is only one way to
nail the C+ sound. With a C+.

I agree. The general tone of the C+ can be copped with pedals, EQ and whatnot, but the C+ response to pick attack is exteremely evasive. :shock: 8)

JOEY B. said:
Boogiebabies said:

I agree. The general tone of the C+ can be copped with pedals, EQ and whatnot, but the C+ response to pick attack is exteremely evasive. :shock: 8)
Wish I could shrink down that 50 pound beast into my carry on...I spent the 1-2 hours listening to various pedals. Its amazing how few have mid controls. You'd think that would be a big factor on and OD/distorto pedal. The Empress Multidrive is one I'd like to try mainly because it has an EQ section. Not sure where I could find one in the wilds of Wyoming to spin.

Another grueling day of listening to distorto pedals. Two really stand out: Custom Tones Ethos, and Wampler Slostortion.

I think I'll go with one of those for plan B, when the Boogie doesn't get to tag along.

you didn't hear this from me.. but AMT electronics.. is making a pedal in their JFET line modeled after the Mark IIC+ , if you haven't seen their stuff before they're quite good.. I use a few of them...

http://www.amtelectronics.com/products/amt_legend_amp_series/

Pedals based of the Rectos, 5150, Soldano, ENGL, JCM800... preamp pedals.. they're super good, and a Mark IIC+ pedal is coming.. A friend of mine that is endorsed by them has sent his IIC+ to them to start work on.

Boogiebabies said:

This.

With a slightly driven amp cranked pushing the power section, you get similar results. It's close enough that your hands could make up for the other half. 8)

I take it the Wampler is based off an SLO 100, but at high volume. The real amp sounds
quite fizzy at low volumes without the depth mod. The real amp with the MV above 4 is unreal.

My SLO is sadly waiting it's turn in a shoe closet at the moment.... :cry:

revgsmall said:
I can come fairly close with the above mentioned gear. I have some video footage of me doing just that. I'll try and find it and post.

On a pedal note: Is there one out there that has some control knobs over the mids? For me that's the most important knob on a IIC+. Most everything else changes very little but I really tweak the mid knob.
Maybe one of these??
(It's a tube OD and has a 12ax7 inside).

DV016_Jpg_Large_155083_V.jpg

JOEY B. said:
Boogiebabies said:

+1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc....

The C+ tone can even be copped by other Mark series amps but, that response to pick attack can't (and/ or hasn't so far)

Latest posts

Back