Which modern player do you think has that grail tone???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesanomad100

Reaction score
lets here which modern player you think has that grail tone,from Eric johnson,Andy timmons,Vai or satch

Whoever you think give some details why you think this and I fpossible the gear they use to get it....

just remember....It's all in the hands!!

Andy Timmons all the way,I has goin to say Eric Johnson but he has been around for years and I dont consider him to be a "modern" player.

nomad, it's cool the way you ask and reply to yourself! also contradicting yourself about johnson, eh eh :D :D
since it is mentioned in the first message, i vote for Eric

I don't think Andy Timmons is a modern player.
He's been around since the 80's with danger danger band where I really prefer his job.
I vote for Michael Romeo although I think his band is horrible,their songs are boring and cheeze,harmonies are ugly BUT his solos are awsome !

I honestly don't think any of the people named in that initial post are "modern" at all, but if we're talking about contemporary players then I definitely would choose Guthrie Govan.

Hell I forgot

MICHAEL J. FOX in back to the future :lol: :lol: :lol:

Amazing movie.Sorry for his health problems

www.davemartone.com

Most people have never heard of him. Check him out. The drummer from Nickleback, Daniel Adair played drums in Daves last CD.

And yes Dave plays a Mesa!

Koprofag said:
I'd say the guitarist in Entombed. He either uses a JCM800 or JTM run through a supposedly half-broken mixer giving that particular growl. http://www.myspace.com/serpentsaints

Ooo the voodoo. ;)
are entombed really famous in sweden? i remember a friend of mine went to hear them here in italy in a small pub two years ago, he said they were great

thelordofcheesecake said:
I honestly don't think any of the people named in that initial post are "modern" at all, but if we're talking about contemporary players then I definitely would choose Guthrie Govan.

Ditto on that. I got to hear him here in Orange Co. USA and he sounded awesome! A Suhr through a Cornford is a very nice thing!

Most people have never heard of him. Check him out. The drummer from Nickleback, Daniel Adair played drums in Daves last CD.

And yes Dave plays a Mesa!

I love Martone. Fumble Fingers is one of my favorite "effect/tone" songs.

Andy Timmons hands down. His tone on the entire resoltion record is simply increadible. Talk about string definition, it's like his entire guitar and rig just breathe together.

twostring,I totally agree,he has been one of my tonal inspirations for years,I thought it best I just give up and tryin to get his tone,its all in the hands and a s**t load of vintage gear if your andy timmons,I decided upon that years ago and have now got a really decent liquid tone of my own

ohhh ritchie kotzen has a pretty sweet tone(cornford user like guthrie govan)

Euan

John Petrucci on his solo album "suspended animation" and on his incredible Liquid Tension Experiment records....

that sound/tone blows me away every time...

yes,totallt agree witht hat statement,petrucci's tone on all of his recordings is really amazing,his tone never really gets recognised though which is a real shame as it is real sweet,especially the MKIIc+ tones
mmmmmmmmmm...
sweet

Euan

I think Andy Timmons gets at least one of my votes for best "current" tone. Andy may have risen to fame in the late '80's and early '90's and his first solo discs came out in the early/mid '90's, but his tone is a lot different now than it was then, so I think he qualifies for a best modern tone.

Eric Johnson always deserves mention when best tone is talked about. For more metal players, I think Joe Stump's CD's keep getting better-sounding with each release and Gus G. gets some killer tones, too.

I really cant pick just one, but here's the top five:

1)Robben Ford
2)Derek Trucks
3)Andy Timmons
4)Joe Bonamassa
5)Eric Johnson

not really in order at all.

Adam Jones (sp?) from TooL - best distortions ever

John Frusciante - RHCP's and solo

Matt Bellamy - Muse (not keen on the new stuff though but it does sound good tonally!)

+1 to all of that!!! 8)

im not keen on most of the muse stuff since origin but he does get some great sounds, Jones is my favourite player from a tone point and probably a riff point too and frusciante is just incredible - my biggest influence by far :)

Latest posts

Back