Which modern player do you think has that grail tone???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woody Weatherman or Pepper Keenan (C.O.C.)
Warren Haynes (Allman Brother's, Gov't Mule)
Larry Lalonde (Primus)
Tim Roth (Into Eternity)
Steve Vai if you consider him modern
John Petrucci

I'm going to have to go with two players, who don't really fit into the current mold you guys have set in place...John Mayer and Henry Garza...I really like the sound of a slightly overdirven amp just clipping...John Mayer melts the panties off of every young lady everywhere he plays with that tone, and Henry Garza's sound is SRV with some Santana sustain, GORGEOUS...my tone ain't too bad either, LOL http://www.myspace.com/urbanburnreggae

Petrucci on G3 Live In Tokyo. Oh man, that little warm up riff he plays before the jams start is heaven defined. :shock:

AMP10 - i have to agree with you about mayer. i love his tone as well. wish i could "melt the panties" off some girls like him. haha. makes me want a dumble/two-rock

as far as tone my favorite modern tone has to be pete loefler from chevelle. he's using mark IV's and his tone is sick. i remember reading an article on petrucci and he even commented on chevelle's tone, saying they had a great sound!

another modern player with great tone right now is mark tremonti of alter bridge.

-PJ

Greg Howe
Guthrie Govan
John Petrucci
and...........

I love the tone Jeff Loomis gets on "Dead Heart in a Dead World" and the remix of "Enemies of Reality"
great examples of what a boosted Dual Recto can sound like.
Really,.......... Loomis and Petrucci are the main reasons I bought a Recto in the first place.

I am out of the zone on this board for sure haha but I gotta say the grail tone for me would be Brad Paisley!
He does it all except the extremely hardcore sound, in my opinion of course.
Second for me would be Joe Bonamassa.

Petrucci, Timmons, Gus G, Rob Chapman...

I may be partial to the last though out of personal favoritism.

I think Joe Bonamassa get some great tones from his Marshalls, but worthy of mention (as far as Strat tones) would be Walter Trout, he is a modern blues player, but he is very under rated here in the states. He's old school, most of the time a 70's Strat plugged into Mark IV, end of story. I been listening to him for a long time. I believe he has been a Mark series user since the Mark II.

Carlos Santana still gets some great tones too....

The three that popped into my head initially were all mentioned already. Not fair. (Petrucci, Joe Bonamassa, Mark Tremonti) I caught Joe B. live a few months ago and it was disgusting how amazing his tone was. Both Pete and Mikael from Opeth have some godly tones too. Every time I listen to Ghost Reveries I want to go buy a Laney :)

Latest posts

Back