Which Mesa for me???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Volitan

Reaction score
Basically, the amp I have now is cool when it's clean....it's a one twelve combo, blah blah. Anyway, when I use a distortion pedal (a Mk.II Tonebender fuzz) it loses all of that coolness, and clarity and brightness.....so what Mesa should I try? I'm a complete noob when it comes to Mesa and am only checking them out because one of my musical idols, Prince, uses a Lonestar (or someother Mesa) I think....anyway, I'm probably gonna be running it on clean (or maybe a low distortion setting) and using my fuzz as a distortion source. I play a lot of different genres, but I'm really just looking for something that'll sound great clean, and then maintain it's clarity and punch when I kick in the fuzz pedal....

If you are going to use a pedal for your distortions, use your pedal to try out a Lone Star Classic or Special. Another good amp is the Blue Angel. The F-Series is also a winner in my book, and I think you could get used to all the distortion sounds from any Mesa Boogie. I did, now I might use a BB-Preamp for a solo boost (not that I need one) with a Dual Rec, or a Lone Star. It is more of a confidence booster.

If you are only looking for a clean tone that loves pedals and that's a Mesa-
Lonestar
Tremoverb
Maverick (my personal favorite clean channel so far)
Any of the Mark series (they all have "different" cleans but play well with pedals)
Heartbreaker
Blue Angel

Most of these are out of production models, but can be had for decent prices on the bay and CL

Other amps I'd consider if I was looking for what you are-
Fender 57 Twin Tweed Combo (if it's good enough for Clapton, it's good enough for all of us :wink: )
Marshall Club and Country
Peavey Classic 20 (cheaper, but a lot of bang for the buck with the right tubes)

I'm gonna go to my local shop (incedentally the best Mesa dealer in the South East US, they were presented with some award), but I doubt they'll have the Blue Angel or Heartbreaker because they're out of production right?????

Plus which ones have Master Volumes???

Mesa Lone Star... If you don't use the drive in channel 2, then you can set it up as an alternative clean channel. Also the solo output level might come in handy for you.

Latest posts

Back