Which Mesa for el84 Marshall tones?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe because the Marshall 1974x is a rare find, and VERY pricey if you ever DO find one. They had a reissue a few years ago, but I don't know about the quality; and I don't even see those around anymore.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-1974X-Handwired-18W-1x12-Combo-Amp?sku=482706

CoolRails said:
Maybe because the Marshall 1974x is a rare find, and VERY pricey if you ever DO find one. They had a reissue a few years ago, but I don't know about the quality; and I don't even see those around anymore.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-1974X-Handwired-18W-1x12-Combo-Amp?sku=482706
That's weird, couldn't find it there the other day :? Are they as good as the originals?

For that price, they **** well better be or Jim Marshall would be getting it shoved up his left nostril.

For that much money, I would go with a boutique company. There are litterally about $500 worth of parts in that thing. Granted, if you bought the parts, it would run $800-$900, but they buy them in masses.

You would be better off buying one from a boutique company or building one yourself. Your amp will be closer to the originals if that matters to you. I don't know about marshall, but some of the reissue vox amps are very noisy.

my first amp was keil with 2 el84 for $200 had it rebuilt by a tech into an 18W clone for another $200 then blew a bunch more money on it then bought a mesa. well yes its a one trick pony but i guess if i want to see that trick again i can always dig it out. not high gain but nice for sure.

defiantly not high gain, but i've come to realize that the high gain sound is more in voicing than in actual gain.

If you want a marshall sound, buy a marshall!!! If you want a mesa sound buy a mesa!! If you want a peavy 5150 sound buy a 5150!!! Buying a marshall to sound like a marshall will be cheaper than buying a mesa and trying to make it sound like a marshall.

a lot of it also has to do with the speakers commonly used in each amp. Mesa uses a lot of vin30's where marshall uses g12t75's more often. 70's i think greenbacks were popular.

KyleAnadora said:
stiletto Ace

Interesting.

I am wondering why there are suggestions EL34 based amps to the question of what's closest to EL84 based tones. The two tubes are pretty different in tone, at least to my ear.

Though I will admit I have not heard an Ace yet.

simonich said:
KyleAnadora said:
stiletto Ace

Interesting.

I am wondering why there are suggestions EL34 based amps to the question of what's closest to EL84 based tones. The two tubes are pretty different in tone, at least to my ear.

Though I will admit I have not heard an Ace yet.

Yeah, they're definitely different, and I keep on wondering why people are saying Ace when 84's and 34's are very, very different. Does a 5:25 sound like a Stiletto? Nope. Does an AC30 sound like a JCM800? Nope.

Obviously the preamp voicings will have much to do with it a well, but two similar sounding preamps will sound quite different through those two tubes.

Back