Which Mesa for el84 Marshall tones?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ad Nauseam

Reaction score
Are there any EL84 Mesas, new or out of production, that can get close to vintage tones like the 18w and 20w handwired Marshalls?

LonestarSpecial?
Blue Angel?
Maverick?
Other?

Robert

Some Marshall-style EL84 crunch may be found on the crunch setting of channel 1 of the Express 5:25 amps.

It is dynamic, open-sounding and very responsive to guitar volume.

RocksOff said:
I can get as close to that as I want with the LSS.
The LSS sound NOTHING like a Marshall any Marshall ever.
The 525 is close ish but not very.

I have n ever heard a Mesa that can pull off the 20 watt Marshall sound really well. I have a Nomad 45 and can kinda get there but it still isnt quite right.

my Stiletto doesnt even come close.

I have a LSS and a Marshall 1974x. I use them in my setup all the time. The 18w has more midrange and much much creamier when pushed. It pretty much has no headroom so you get the crunch right away and into the saturated powertube at mid-way on the volume. Very tasty and it's one of my all time favorite overdrive tone.
In comparison, the LSS is grainier, wider frequency range, a little flabby low, and many other tones are possible, but the overdrive is no where near the Marshall.
It's like this, the Marshall is one trick pony, but what a trick, and this pony wins the triple crowns. The LSS is all around good, this pony can run race, trot around the farm, and can even pulls the Budweiser truck. :)

Sure eagle. Listen... running a humbucker equipped guitar into a Klon Centaur then into the LSS i get pretty close to OLD Marshall tones. You have to have to little toggle set to thicker, though. Heck, even Mesa calls the setting with the thicker switch set their 'plexi' switch. Thank you. That will be all.

Any reason you don't look for a Marshal on ebay?

If that is the sound you are looking for, I'd just buy the Marshall.

primal said:

+1.

That's like asking which Ferrari is most like a Lamborghini.

camsna said:
primal said:

+1.

Maybe because the Marshall 1974x is a rare find, and VERY pricey if you ever DO find one. They had a reissue a few years ago, but I don't know about the quality; and I don't even see those around anymore.

MrMason said:
camsna said:
primal said:

+1.

Maybe because the Marshall 1974x is a rare find, and VERY pricey if you ever DO find one. They had a reissue a few years ago, but I don't know about the quality; and I don't even see those around anymore.

Good call. I spoke too soon :)

Get a Suhr Badger

:)

RocksOff said:
Sure eagle. Listen... running a humbucker equipped guitar into a Klon Centaur then into the LSS i get pretty close to OLD Marshall tones. You have to have to little toggle set to thicker, though. Heck, even Mesa calls the setting with the thicker switch set their 'plexi' switch. Thank you. That will be all.

Yes tried that .The Klon is on my board and it makes it closer but have you actualy A/B ed it with an 18 watt hw because I have ,and it is NOTHING LIKE (even with the Klon.)You can write plexi on anything but it won't make it sound like one .Actually the 18 watt Hw dosen't sound like any old plexi I've owned ,( 7 over the years all PTP ) or the reissue .Its a bit like the plexi setting on the Bogner XTC nice but nothing like an old Marshall if you get them together and listen.

MrMason said:
camsna said:
primal said:

+1.

There are plenty of clones or kits available. It's a very simple circuit really. Go to www.18watt.com

I built a 36 watt clone kit from weber and it was bad ***. I wanted to keep it, but it sold to the 1st person to come in and play it.

Very rich and creamy overdrive. No clean tones at all. I haven't found a Mesa that can do exact sound that yet.

Sell the LSS and get a DC3. The DC3 is absolutely the best amp I have played through. I've played the LSS and it is a nice amp...but the DC3 overall sounds better. My DC3 is one amp I'll never part with. YMMV.

Greg

el84's also don't sound like el34's as a side note! I'd build one if it were me pretty simple build. You could get someone on the 18watt.com forum to build you one. You might also consider installing VVR into it so you can turn it down and still get that great pa distortion. 18W distorted is LOUD!

Yeah, I was actually gonna build one of those kits, but the transformers never showed up. I still have most of the components for it though, got the good caps and everything.

you might try this place for inexpensive transformers http://www.musicalpowersupplies.com/index.html

Latest posts

Back