Which Mesa Boggie Amp Should I Get

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi

This is my first post

I have just sold my PodXT as my ears have matured, I will qoute with a more appropriate term, It muddy and lifeless.
I found I only used two models on the PodXT
a Fender Twin Model and a Model called Spinal Puppet with the virtual cabinet set to Vintage 30, I ran the whole thing though an active speaker. I really love that sound, I just want a more pure version of it.

I read somewhere that Spinal Puppet Amp model that its based on a Mark IV

I want my sound to have a Tight Low End and a smooth top end I play alot of chords with alot of distortion I need my guitar the slice though the band like a Samurai Sword through Hot Butter.

The closest Recorded sound I have heard to my Spinal Puppet sound is a Lamb Of God sound called Vigil

You can listen to a clip of it here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000092Q4U/sr=8-2/qid=1140001661/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-6347330-3967932?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Here is another sound very simular to the Spinal Puppet Amp Model.

This guy plays same style that I play but he is playing through a Engl Screamer with stock Vintage 30 Speaker

This sound is perfect, can I get that sound with the Mark IV

http://www.rocksolidamps.com/MP3/Jonny%20Boy%20Screamer.mp3

Could you help me

Thank You

Both guitarists from Lamb of God are using MkIVs, so if that's the sound you're after you're looking in the right direction.

I've never heard the Spinal Puppet model and this is a work machine so I can't download those sound samples, but from it's name I feel it's somewhat safe to assume Line6 is poking fun at Spinal Tap (my amp goes all the way to 11!) and the sound is based on Metallica's Master of Puppets tone....which was a Boogie MkIIC+ slaved into a Marshall heads power section, so you'd have a combination of both the Boogie 6L6 tone and the Marshall's EL34 tone.

The above might be useless information, but to me it sounds like you'd really enjoy the MkIV. Just be prepared, the MkIV is more than just an amplifier, it's a musical insturment all by itself, and thus will take many years of playing to learn and perfect.

The Mark IV is a great amp. It can sound like old Metallica or more modern if you like that. I don´t think it has as much gain as the "Spinal puppet" model, but it has more than enough for a great metal sound.
It has a really tight and focused tone and with the graphic eq it can sound really brutal. I have owned two Mark IV amps and I love them. I´m definetly getting another one some day (sold them both some years ago. What was I thinking?).

I recently bought a used "red stripe" Mark III amp, that sounds great too. The Mark III amps are cheaper in the used market than the Mark IV´s, so they are a good choice. It´s a bit different than the IV, but equally as good. The Mark III is a bit "rawer" and has a bit different low end (bigger and less focused, but still tight). The IV is "smoother" and to my ears a bit more focused. It has more "weight" behind the notes and a really liquid vibe.
I prefer the III for heavy rhythm sounds and the IV for leads. Both are great amps.

I would however, recomend that you use at least a closed back 2x12" cab, to get the most out of the amp. The open backed combos are great for some sounds, but heavier tones needs the low end responce that a closed back cab gives you. I use my amps with either a 2x12 or 4x12 recto cab, and the amps sounds great with them.

Gain is not that big of issue I have a Viper 301 with an Emg 81 in the Bridge position and an Emg 60 in the Neck.

Could any body post some sound samples of the Mark III or Mark IV paired up with Clestion Vintage 30 Speakers

Dialed in like this

Gain = 75
Treble 90
Mids 40
Bass 50
Presence 90

Last night I was looking at the Carvin V3 how does that compare would it be a little cheaper in Australia more importantly is it avalible in Australia.

http://www.carvin.com/jamroom/rooms/V3/V3412.php

Simply put, the Carvin doesn't compare. Totally different amp.

And by the way. The Mark series has an entirely different eq scheme than almost any other amp. So those eq settings are pretty meaningless as far as amp-to-amp comparison.

Listen to the old Metallica albums (puppets, justice and black) to get an idea of what the Mark series can do.
Also, listen to some Dream Theater as John Petrucci used Mark series amps prior to the Train of thought album.
Lamb Of god uses the Mark IV too.

All these people used thier amps with cabs loaded with the V30 speaker.

nocluejimbo said:

How would you know this? Have you ever played a V3? Probably not. I've had two. Didn't like them because they were so much like a Recto in some regards.

CudBucket said:
nocluejimbo said:

How would you know this? Have you ever played a V3? Probably not. I've had two. Didn't like them because they were so much like a Recto in some regards.

That's the point, they are in the same vein as the Rectifier. Which I have heard from you as well as some members of other boards who have ordered the V3.

If it even resembles a Recto, it isn't like a Mark IV at all, in my experience with those two.

Latest posts

Back