Which "Marshall" pedal works best with the mark V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiliphil1

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a fairly new Mark owner coming over from Marshall. I'm quite happy with the amp, it does a very good job of immitating a 2203 when it's turned up on channel 2 but it's not quite "on par" with a real Marshall. On the flip side I've yet to see a Marshall that can do what this one does on channel 3, so there's that. Either way I still find that I have a "craving" for Marshall tones. I had a guy offer me a jvm410h in trade for the mark but I think I'd rather keep the Mesa as the distortion charachter definitely sounds better.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there is a pedal which does a good Marshall emulation through the clean channel and isn't too expensive. I know things like the plexi drive from wampler have a good reputation as do the tone bone pedals. There are also the amt pedals which look amazing through the YouTube demos. Long term I want to add an axe fx in 4cm but that's out of my price range for now, so just something cheap for the interim.

If anyone has any experience of recommendations I would love to hear them. Thank you.

Btw, if it helps I'm looking for a good 70's-80's classic rock sound.

Chiliphil1 said:
Hey guys, I'm a fairly new Mark owner coming over from Marshall. I'm quite happy with the amp, it does a very good job of immitating a 2203 when it's turned up on channel 2 but it's not quite "on par" with a real Marshall. On the flip side I've yet to see a Marshall that can do what this one does on channel 3, so there's that. Either way I still find that I have a "craving" for Marshall tones. I had a guy offer me a jvm410h in trade for the mark but I think I'd rather keep the Mesa as the distortion charachter definitely sounds better.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there is a pedal which does a good Marshall emulation through the clean channel and isn't too expensive. I know things like the plexi drive from wampler have a good reputation as do the tone bone pedals. There are also the amt pedals which look amazing through the YouTube demos. Long term I want to add an axe fx in 4cm but that's out of my price range for now, so just something cheap for the interim.

If anyone has any experience of recommendations I would love to hear them. Thank you.

Weehbo JCM and JVM. The JCM is lower gain, but the JVM is a great MIAB pedal. I own a ******* and I used to own a Morbid (until I bought my Mark V). There are some great Weehbo demos on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiN3ca-zdMY

I'm getting what I need from the Friedman BE-OD, Wampler Pinnacle/Plexi-Drive, and even the Sovereign. I prefer them into channel 1, clean mode, not fat or tweed.

jdgebha said:
I bought a Mark cause it didn't sound like a 2203. :lol:

That's what one would think but I'm serious! The way I have channel 2 dialed once the MV gets above 10:00 or so it is VERY 2203.

pwoz said:
Chiliphil1 said:

Weehbo JCM and JVM. The JCM is lower gain, but the JVM is a great MIAB pedal. I own a ******* and I used to own a Morbid (until I bought my Mark V). There are some great Weehbo demos on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiN3ca-zdMY

Those look great. I'll definitely look into more info on those, thanks!

Monstercastle said:
I'm getting what I need from the Friedman BE-OD, Wampler Pinnacle/Plexi-Drive, and even the Sovereign. I prefer them into channel 1, clean mode, not fat or tweed.

The Friedman looks incredible. Definitely on my list, the Wampler too. They're out of my price range for the moment but they're definately on the long term list.

Chiliphil1 said:

MI Audio Super Crunchbox is THE best marshall clone pedal ever made imo.
Mates great with Mark V or any other good tube amp :mrgreen:

Chiliphil1 said:
Monstercastle said:

The Friedman looks incredible. Definitely on my list, the Wampler too. They're out of my price range for the moment but they're definately on the long term list.

Oh wow, I didn't know Friedman makes pedals! It sounds awesome!

I wanted to add that I have a Wampler Catapulp, which I know is based on Orange (so Marshall-ish), but it sounds HORRIBLE on the Mark V. I was so shocked since the Mark V clean is so nice that it should handle pedals perfectly, but for some reason, the Catapulp sounds like absolute crap. I tried all clean channel settings and it didn't matter. I wonder if it has anything to do with the active EQ on the pedal, but I have no clue. That pedal sounds amazing on my 5w Blackheart Little giant, but not the freaking Mark V!

I was so mad that I bought an Orange Micro Dark (which is an awesome mini-amp). :mrgreen:

It's a great pedal. I'm giving serious consideration to buying a Runt 50 head.

I just bought the Friedman BE-OD a few days ago and I'm really digging this pedal. It sounds really great into the clean channel of my Mark35.

I've two 2203's and I can't get my Mark 5 to sound like em. Not anywhere near. The upper mid is all wrong and the low mid is too stiff.
At best it's Edge mode, 45 watts and valve rectification. Yeah the Marshall doesn't use a valve rectifier but it helps loosen the bass end a bit.

If you want a Marshall sound. Buy a Carl Martin Plexitone (it's got more gain than any 800 aside from the KK). Run the guitar into the input, the output directly into the effects return on your Mark. It's about the best Marshall pre-amp in a pedal out there. The older 3 button one is better than the new one.

Are you running 34's or 6L6's. 34's go a long way to getting CH 2 and CH 1 Tweed into Marshall territory. I've done some recordings with CH 2 where I couldn't have told you it wasn't a JMP 2203.

Monstercastle said:

I assume guitar-->pedal--> front input rather than the loop? I'm in need of a MIAB that plays with the V:25 and this one seems to cover the tone I want.

I think I'm gonna go with that Friedman BE-OD. I'm playing a recto now, not a mark but still needing that Marshall grind for certain things however I don't want a Marshall.

I have the mark v 25 and I wouldn't recommend the Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe. Have never found a decent tone out of it. Considering they are $239, I would rather just get a used Marshall DSL 15 head for $350. I only really like the classic gain channel anyway.

I would like to try the Friedman pedal.

MAChiefs said:
I have the mark v 25 and I wouldn't recommend the Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe. Have never found a decent tone out of it. Considering they are $239, I would rather just get a used Marshall DSL 15 head for $350. I only really like the classic gain channel anyway.

I would like to try the Friedman pedal.

That's not a bad suggestion. I had one of those 15h amps and that's a nice little amp. Very light and portable too.

Latest posts

Back