Which Mark IV head to buy?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shredtheater

Reaction score
Hey, i have made up my mind to buy a mark IV to replace my Dual Rectifier which will be sold. Im going to go for the head rather than a combo as i already have a 4x12 recto cab but im not sure which size to get. Is there actually anything different between a short head than the med head in terms of features/sounds or is it purely just size??

thanks

I think some of the controls end up on the back of the short head. I'm not sure which ones but either way, you're getting a MKIV which is the single best amplifier ever.

Scott

Medium head has the EQ Assign and Harmonics/Mid Gain switches on the front, along with a power light. Short head has the switches on the back and no power light.

That and the size are the extent of the differences.

Do look at other cabs. I'm sure a recto will sound HUGE, but there are apparently better matches for the Mark series.

First of all, they were designed for Celestion's C90, not Vintage 30's... and then, many prefer Electrovoice EVM 12L speakers over Celestions... more clarity of sound, less breakup, less muddied coloring of your amp's natural tone.

People also prefer 1x12 thiele's over 4x12's. 2x12 verticle cabs with a EVM and a C90 are popular too, but I don't remember which one goes on top...

Anyway, can't go wrong with either head. Recto => Mark 4 = best decision ever!!!

^I wouldn't say another cab is necessary. The Mark series amps rip with vintage 30s too.

And yes, definitely a good choice. I'm doing the same thing...I wish Mesa would only work faster.

I think the Medium head would be a better choice for the 4x12....I think the short head looks funny on the bigger cabs. But it is purely a size and layout difference...the amp is the same.

Yep, just a size difference! I agree that the short head would look funny on a 4x12. pscycle_1 would second that since he just traded his short head for my long chassis...

I'm running (2) 1x12 cabs and they sound great. One is open back with a G12H30 in it and the other is a closed back ported Thiele with a Black Shadow in it. I'm happy with it for now. It's like a mini rig. The portability is a HUGE plus for me coz I just switched from a Peavey XXX 212 combo and cab. Combined weight is 150lbs. That's ridiculous...

You will be more than happy with the Mark IV long chassis and the 4x12... The Mark IV will still be a few inches short of the width of the 4x12 but still looks good...

Good luck!

cheers for your replies. I have only just bought the cab so i will certainly stick with it for awhile. As far as the size goes i need to decide whether i wanna put it on my cab or put it in with some rack stuff. Anyhow thanks, now to wait 3 months for mesa to build me one!

I use mine with the Rectifier 4x12 and it sounds enormous. Really huge.

I actually think the short heads look cool on the 4x12s, even though I have a medium.

I bought the short head for several reasons, first of all it will fit 'as is' in a rack. When I use it this way I simply slide it in the back of the rack and sit it on a shelf. This way it's quick and easy to remove without hassle. Also when I do sit it on a larger cab, by sitting it off to one side it leaves plenty of room for other items on top of the cab next to the head. Then there are times when I want to travel light, just the head and one 1-12" or 1-15" cab and the medium cab is to wide for that.

My current setup is a W/D/W stereo rig with the Mk IV, a six space rack, and three speaker cabs. The rack sits on top of a 4-10" cab which recieves the center dry signal from the Mk IV. In the rack are the Furman, the tuner, the Boogie 50/50 poweramp, and the efx. The Mk IV short head fits perfectly on top of the rack, then this whole rig sits between two Mesa thiele 1-12's loaded with EVM-12"s. So for me the short head is much more vesatile and just makes way more sense.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
...I wish Mesa would only work faster.

lol I read that same sentence in all your comments based on the Mark IV. Hope you get it soon man, the wait would kill me! :)

Keep your 4x12 with V30's, it's all about tastes, but about me, the best sounding cabinet for the IV is the Recto ones with V30's (i've got a 2x12 horizontal) i totally dislike EV speakers, but that's just me, so, as you can see, every one has got different points of view, but be sure to try the IV throught the Recto 4x12. Sometimes i plug my MarkIV head throught the 4x12 Recto of a friend, and beleive me, it's hard to bear, very impressive !
And i would go for the short head, it's looks 1000 times better imho.

Platypus said:
I'd buy used if you can, you poor UK folks get hosed on prices as it is.

Tell me about it. Its going to cost me £1850 (about $3660) - thats the best price i can get and is only really due to customer loyalty. They retail at over £2000. Thats about $4000. I have absolutely no idea what they are to buy in the USA. I bought a guitar from Mannys music in New York a few years ago and saved myself a bunch but they dont sell boogies anymore.

shredtheater said:
Platypus said:
I'd buy used if you can, you poor UK folks get hosed on prices as it is.

Tell me about it. Its going to cost me £1850 (about $3660) - thats the best price i can get and is only really due to customer loyalty. They retail at over £2000. Thats about $4000. I have absolutely no idea what they are to buy in the USA. I bought a guitar from Mannys music in New York a few years ago and saved myself a bunch but they dont sell boogies anymore.

A new one goes for $1850 I believe.. that's crazy how they screw you guys like that. I would seriously consider getting one used, you're paying double.

Any reputable shops in the US that i could order a new one from?? Ive had a look on the sam ash and guitar centre websites but no boogies. I could probably buy a cheaper new one from the us than a used one in the uk, its outrageous!! lol

It is outrageous, I think it's very unfortunate Mesa does this to their clients outside of the US.

Your best bet is to find one used from someone who will ship the amp overseas or find one locally from a private seller. Check out the UK ebay as well.

The short head's the most versatile as it can be a head, combo or rackmount. I chose a rackmount for added security. I'd hate to have anything happen to the new baby. As far as UK prices, maybe somebody at Boogie's Irish and they're just getting back at you Brits. :twisted: Actually I think all of Europe gets pretty equally hosed. Too bad. I would definitely buy used. In fact, that's what I did.

devilrob1979 said:
The short head's the most versatile as it can be a head, combo or rackmount. I chose a rackmount for added security. I'd hate to have anything happen to the new baby. As far as UK prices, maybe somebody at Boogie's Irish and they're just getting back at you Brits. :twisted: Actually I think all of Europe gets pretty equally hosed. Too bad. I would definitely buy used. In fact, that's what I did.

Everyone outside the US does, Australia gets boned big time too.

Latest posts

Back