Which has more lows, Marshall JCM 900 or Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shredding

Reaction score
I just got a marshall JCM 900 and dialed it in with a boss SD-1 in the front and find it has tons of lows when cranked. I perceive the same amount of lows as in my mark IV (the 80Hz knob is just below the top line and 240 knob is above the middle).

Is this usual? I know usually mesa has more lows so is there something wrong with my mark IV?

But I still find the mesa tone beats the marshall for rhythms. very tight.

Also since I told my DR, i can't do a A/B test. But does DR have more low's than the Mark IV?

The 900's weren't low end monsters by any stretch, in fact they're kind of thin sounding compared to most Marshalls and other amps. You've got yours set up pretty well, or your MkIV needs new tube. IMHO.

The tubes are 7 months old (Groove tubes). I don't know what's wrong with the mark IV then. Or it might just be the cheap MG cab I played through. Mark IV can't reach its potential on that cheap cab I guess.

I have both amps as well.

The lows are different, the 900 is 'warmer and softer' with the bass turned up.

The Mark IV gets flubby on lead and r2 with the bass control but you get great bass and tightness with the bass control turned down ~2 and the graphic eq used to dial in the bass.

Overall I would say the Mark IV is capable of more and lower frequency bass. Are you using them through the same cab? That makes a HUGE difference.

On both amps I go even further and use a parametric eq to dial in even more low frequency bass, it works great with both amps.

Also try 6L6 in simul, triode with harmonics, this allows you to turn up the high frequencies to get a good crunch while not getting too harsh, meaning it sounds more bassy

Yeah, i played both through the same cab. I do like to keep the lead bass low (only at 2 to 3) and turn up the EQ's low.

we have almost the same gear, I also use an SD-1 infront of the JCM!

A total guess but it's might be the speakers, they will really affect the eq and make the 2 amps sound kinda similar.

That's funny and I do find the lead very pleasing with the SD-1 in front of the JCM 900.

I think it must be the speakers. Also, have you compared the mark IV to a DR side by side? I always thought my old DR has more bass.

Yeah, the solo tone with the SD-1 and 900 with some reverb is amazing!

I haven't compared the DR and MarkIV side by side but I played a DR in a shop once and yes it has more of that low bass. That's why I use the eq in the loop, you can give the Mark IV just as much low down thump and even more than a DR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxpGCaVtNhw

Not the greatest sound quality but you get the gernal idea :)

shredding said:
That's funny and I do find the lead very pleasing with the SD-1 in front of the JCM 900.

MkIV doesn't necessarily have to be better than the 900. You may just have found that you like the 900 better, there wouldn't be anything wrong with it.

boola said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxpGCaVtNhw

Not the greatest sound quality but you get the gernal idea :)

Haha, Is that you???? I've seen all of your videos before on youtube.(it shows up by the demos I posted on youtube). it's quite an interesting idea to slave the marshall with your boogie. I like the sound.

Today I went to the rehearsal place and A/B the cab with the Marshall's volume at 8 and boogie's at 3 chan master and 3 output. Both sounds incredible but the boogie is defintely more mid rangy to my ears. I just love the drive on the boogie and marshall has to be boosted to get that metal rhythm and lead.

Well, I love both amps for the lead work and really can't have a favorite since they are totally different. When cranked, both amps are like monsters.

yeah, that's me :) Everytime I listen to it my playing sounds worse! I need to smoke more weed before I play next time to slow me down a bit!

Which ones are your demos?

Latest posts

Back