Which Dunlop?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atomic.Sheep

Reaction score
1.) Which Dunlop do you guys think is best for Metal?
2.) Which ones do you use and what do you think of them?
3.) What makes the Fasel wah pedal so special?

As far as Wah pedals are concerned, I'd wait for the Zakk Wylde Signature wah by Dunlop...it is supposed to be released soon.

I use a Morley Steve Vai Bad Horsie 2 Wah. It has a boost function that can raise the volume and the drive to a preset level. I don't play metal in my band, but when I play the harder rock stuff, or if I'm goofin' at the house on some metal stuff, the Morley sounds great to my ear.

The Fasel capacitor used in the old vintage wahs is generally considered to have a warmer, more musical tone to it. Mind you, it may not be the best tone for outright metal though. The subtleties of the tone may be lost in that wonderful Recto wash of TONE.

My best advice to you is to drag your amp (your whole rig, actually) to wherever you can audition these different pedals. You will never really know how they work until you play them through YOUR setup. Just pick the one that makes the most goosebumps pop out.

RB

Zakk signature sure sounds interesting I'll wait it out and check that out because that is certainly news to me (pleasant news too :wink: )

BTW Kirk Hammett uses a Fasel wah pedal (well that would explain his signature model, don't know wether its actually true thou)

I bought this in 1985, and used the crap out of it for 10 years. It eventually stopped working so well, so I brought it in for repair. The tech said he could mod it , and the mod replacement parts would also cover the bad pot and gear. I went for it and now have a far better pedal than before. The pot has more swing to it, and the changed resistors have changed the voice quite a bit. Its far warmer from the fully down position , to about 3/4 up, from then on it screams. It really serves me well.
Tonewise, think Cantrell on "Dirt"...
ax. :twisted:

kirk uses a dunlop crybaby rack wah. but the crybaby classic is a great choice. i'd spend a little more and get a vox clyde mc coy. similar to the dunlop crybaby classic but the vox sounds better and it's true bypass so it doesn't ruin your tone when it's turned off (which is a big fault with the dunlop wahs).

+Mike+

tried the zw45 thru an f30 at work, it has a HUGE range, far broader than any other crybaby
ive tried. food for thought...

Is the rack baby a true bypass?
Yeh the ZW one sounds good... I just don't like the idea of the signature thing... I donno, I don't like signature things, but thats just me.

It's really easy to convert any wah to true bypass. I did it to mine by using a $13 3pdt switch that I got from Area 51.

http://area51tubeaudiodesigns.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=001&Product_Code=3pdt&Category_Code=cat003

Atomic.Sheep said:
Is the rack baby a true bypass?

You can set the output to be hard-wired bypass (wet/dry), or buffered (wet/buff), so you choose. Because so many parameters are adjustable, it is a tweaker's delight (or potentially a trap for the easily distracted).

Has anyone tried any of the Fasel conversions for their Crybaby? I've even heard of a conversion where you can have both the red and yellow Fasel's in a switchable configuration. I was just wondering what they sound like if anyone has any experience with them.

I just baught my wah pedal (Finally) A Dunlop 535Q

3 Questions:

1.) I now need a daisy chain coz i have a Boss PSA240 Adaptor that I originally purchased for my Boss TU-2 tuner pedal. The problem is that the only daisy chain that I've seen in shops doesnt fit into the dunlop wah pedals... fits into everything else BUT the wah... what would you suggest? Which brand daisy chains do you use if you have a dunlop wah? etc...

2.) I don't know wether this one is true bypass but how would I find out and would it be worth modifiying it to true bypass? And what does a true bypass do? Like I know the signal just bypasses the pedals electronics and goes directly to the next pedal or amp but what does it do to the sound?

3.) When I baught the pedal it had rust on it. It's kinda hard to explain but that metal strip that goes from the front of the pedal to the back and is screwed onto the section of the pedal i.e. not the pedal but that base thing and it goes over the metal rod that holds the pedal on the base. I hope thats enough coz thats the best I can do. But basically I returned it and they had a second one at the store that had the same problem... they ordered a new one for me and the new one has rust on it as well... but much less of it (I've decided to go with it for now at least... until I get some feedback). Obviously the whole shipment is like that. What should I do? I don't think that piece does anything at all... so if it rusts and breaks I dont think i'm gonna miss it but what would you guys suggest.

And finally to redmax61...

The new 535Q come with Fasel and I actually wanted to get either the 535Q or the one that Kirk uses... Original with Fasel? Anyway... I can say one thing... LOVE IT. It sounds great. But it's better suited for metal IMO. When you heal the pedal... sounds very fuzzy and its just a really cool sound. Try it out... see if you like it. Theres also some sound files of the Fasel on their site.

BTW just looked at that site that u had a link to... so basically all you have to do to have a true bypass is use that switch? Coz I also tested the dunlop 95Q and that didnt have a switch so obviously it was on all the time and the peadl was on a spring... so I'm guessing this one has true bypass? Coz its got a switch... What do u reckon?

Latest posts

Back