Which do you like better?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verity38

Reaction score
I play in a band that plays music like Silverstein, Hawthorne Heights.. a Post-Hardcore Scremo stuff. I play rythem and sing.. anyways I am looking into the Rectifiers, but I don't know which one I want. I would really like the Dual but those are Quite rare and I dont like the new ones. And I havnt had the chance to play a Triple Rec. but I hear they are very "muddy" and I dont know anything about the Single..

Any Suggestions?

-marc

The difference between the three is basically wattage! 50, 100, and 150! What do you feel, of those power choices, would fit your needs?

The more wattage you have, the more solid your bottom end will sound and the more clean head-room you will have--Personally I prefer my triple out of the 3 but I guess it depends on who you talk to-- :wink:
Its especially helpfull when you can go to a mesa dealer and get 3 mesa 4x12 cabs and a single, dual, and triple in a row to a/b/c them. Put them all on the same settings--I suggest you put all of your knobs on 12 noon for the test to get an even response. This is how I 1was able to choose mine out of the pack--

Yea, I am going to drop by Guitar Center tomorrow, and they already have them stacked up and ready to play. I will most likely be purchasing The Triple. I don't know though because I hear the new ones are just a waste of money. Whats your opinion on that?

-marc

rectifiers come in different sets, if you will...

2 channel versions:
single=50
dual=100
triple=150

3 channel versions:
single=50
dual=100
triple=150

I have two original 1992 duals and a 2005 3ch dual. The 2ch's tone is superior, in mine and most others opinion (assuming they've played one). However, the 3ch will give you lots of more features and a much better clean channel.

So if you're a tone purist, go for a 2ch. If you want stuff to mess w., go for a 3ch. Now, the tone difference is obvious, but it's still the same sound. The true tone difference is found in 1. the tightness of the bottom end, 2. the clarity (note separation) 3. lack of harshness (it's smooth).

Of note is the dilemma b/w wattage/volume and headroom. FOr cleans, you'd want the 150watts. For distortion, you'd want the 50 watts because you saturate the tubes quicker. Most people balance by getting the dual, which has a few extra features the single does not have.
Good luck .

Thank you very much.

-marc

edit: im more of a tone guy i want to hear the notes..but since im rythem/singing i will be playing more chords with a little bit of singles / solos...

I thought my Triple recto was over-kill to be honest. My Recroverb, which is a Single rectifier without reverb, was plenty lound and even seem a bit more aggressive.... But I perfer the Dual Rectifiers better for the tone and different options such as the ability to use a tube or solid state rectifier (plus it has 3 less tubes than a Triple rectifier which is about $50-$60 difference when time to re-tube). I've played in front of 17,000 people before with a 22wt amplifier, so I don't understand the need for a 150 wt amp?? But, if the price is good then go for the Triple... That's why I got mine, it was $200 cheaper than the Dual, but after a couple of months I was ready to trade for a Dual. I now own a Road King and amp pretty happy as I would be with a Roadster too (Both Dual Rectifiers with more bells and whistles).

Alright so last night i went to guitar center and played all three and i can def. say i loved .. loved the dual, I can't wait to buy this piece of beauty.

thanks for the help everyone.

-marc

I did the same thing...played all 3, and IMO, the Dual is the perfect choice between the three! Best of both worlds, and just a gorgeous amp!

I'll say like oyster go and see for the roadster.Before i had a bad opinion on this amp...but yesterday i tried it again, it changed my mind. It's very practicle for a second clean channel a little more dirty and you can switch from 100 watts to 50watts for an earlier saturation... it got reverb too!

And the loop is serial.

Latest posts

Back