Which Boogie to Buy

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugby1970

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new here but I will buy my first Boogie this weekend. To that end I need your opinions on which model to buy. My primary qualifications are tone (classic rock and blues), simplicity of use (my name is not Thomas Dolby), and portability (approaching 60 yo).

The contenders are Rocket 44, F 30, Single Rectifier and Nomad.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Just bought a DC-3 head and can't be happier. 4xEL84s, true two channel (rhythm and lead) easy to dial in, relatively light, reverb and graphic eq. Gets along well with humbuckers and single coils, and takes pedals very well. You can read my recent post in the Dual Caliber subforum under Vintage amps. I'm totally in love with this amp! Or a DC-5 if you prefer 6L6s. These are very underrated and overlooked amps, IMO

rugby1970 said:
My primary qualifications are tone (classic rock and blues), simplicity of use (my name is not Thomas Dolby), and portability (approaching 60 yo).

I'm not intimately familiar with most of your options, but I don't think that a Single Recto really fits your bill.

OTOH, I suggest that you add Lonestar Classic (and/or Special) to your list. Your specifications strongly suggest that this amp could make you very happy.

LesPaul70 said:
rugby1970 said:
My primary qualifications are tone (classic rock and blues), simplicity of use (my name is not Thomas Dolby), and portability (approaching 60 yo).

I'm not intimately familiar with most of your options, but I don't think that a Single Recto really fits your bill.

OTOH, I suggest that you add Lonestar Classic (and/or Special) to your list. Your specifications strongly suggest that this amp could make you very happy.

Agreed. And you can reach higher gain (if needed) with a pedal.

I'm not sure why you're limiting your options to those amps. Maybe it's because they are locally available and in your price range. I could understand if that is the case, but I think you might be happier with some other options given the types of music you listed. Lonestar is a good choice, but I'm not going to vouch for their combo formats being easy to tote around. Those things weigh a ton. I have a Lonestar and for Blues, you would be hard pressed to find another amp that sounds better. A lonestar for classic rock would probably require pedals too.

I have never tried one, but I think the best amp for you might actually be the express plus series. The 5:25 would like be very easy to tote around. I might even suggest a head a cab to make it easier. I was tempted to buy one as a backup amp. Other options you might find useful to tote around are the TA15 or the TA30, but I'm not an expert on their tonal palette.

I would always suggests listening to the amps you have in mind and go from there, but that isn't always the case we either it's too far or availability is scarce.

From my experienced I've only had a chance to try out the Rocket 44. I would say it's a great amp! It's pretty light for combo and it has two channels which is perfect for my needs and it's loud! I like the fact that it's very simple in design and you can still get a wide range of sounds in there. I would use this for gigs, rehearsals and auditions. It does a great job without breaking your back and loud enough to handle any band situation you throw at it.

Once you learn how to eq this amp effectively. You'll love it!

If I have to recommend an amp from the list you provided, I would suggest the F30. I would not get a Single Rectifier for rock & blues.

This video from the Mesa site sealed the deal for me when I bought my Electra Dyne.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/electradyne/electradyne.html#gpm1_4

I knew I wanted very good cleans, but the Hendrix rhythm video did the trick and I was hooked.

Good luck. Do your homework though.

Cheers!

I take that back...I had a chance to buy a F30 and I use to own an Electradyne. The F30 I got to tried was nice but got a bit of feedback when playing loud. I think it could be the tubes and may need to be replaced, although I didn't hear any microphonic or weird noises when playing a lower volumes. The ED is a fantastic amp! That's the good! THe bad is that it's darn heavy and if you get a combo? You better make sure you have a good back. Those are back-breaker amps

I was in your shoes a while ago, but was not going to be my first boogie. I wanted something for classic rock and blues/jazz but yet still can compete with other genre of music styles.

What I wound up with, heavy weight RA100 head. This is one nice amp and very easy to use. Similar to the ED in some respects. A combo version would be much heavier as the head weighs in at 65 Lbs. I love the power soak feature on this amp which is why I opted for it over the ED. I was looking at the used market vrs new. Not saying one is better than the other. I would have been just as happy with the ED.

Electra Dyne is versatile and awesome but, I have to say TA15 or TA30 with a matching 1 x 12 cab. That will keep the weight down and those small format amps are absolutely mind blowingly good for the more vintage tones.

TA-30 w 1x12. Try a cab of your choice with the Jensen Jet Electric Lightning. I can't be more pleased. Head weighs 18 lb and my cab is 33 lb. As loud as you will ever need. Vox, Fender, Marshall and Boogie all in one. Reverb, effects loop.

From.
Another 60-something classicrocker

I've always wanted to try a TA-30. My main gigging rig right now is an Electra Dyne, and #2 rig is a Deluxe Reverb. Lately I've also been lugging the Electra Dyne for rehearsals too. The Deluxe requires me to bring my pedalboard, whilst I don't necessarily have to with the Electra Dyne. I guess my point to all this is that I am in a similar situation as the OP. As much as I love the tones of the Electra Dyne, I would like to have another lighter amp, especially for rehearsals. I played my buddy's new Express 5:25+ and it was awesome! Great cleans, crunch, high gain, and great lead tones -it could do it all and was very light weight. I would love to try a TA-30 and 1x12 cab. The TA-15 I'm sure is great too, but I need the reverb and fx loop for delays and such. Let us know what you end up with!

Latest posts

Back