Which Boogie product is Class A and 50 Watts?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tommyhawk13 said:
phyrexia said:
Nobody has listed an amp that actually does it, because no one makes a 50w class A amp.

:?:

I did.

This subject has come up before. Some amplifier companies (includuding Boogie) use the term "Class A" for a push pull setup. My amp clearly states "Class A" on the back, and the manual says it is 50 watts.

http://www.aikenamps.com/SingleEnded.htm

My Blue Angel says "PURE CLASS A POWER" on the front, and it's still not class "A." I don't know myself whether the Mark IV is really operating class A or getting 50 watts in that mode, or both, but it wouldn't be the first time something was, um, mislabeled.

More at http://www.aikenamps.com/ClassA.htm

snip/
Are those class A amplifiers I see advertised really class A?
There is much debate raging in the marketplace about "class A" amplifiers, and whether or not they are truly class A, or just class AB amplifiers unscrupulously marketed to the unsuspecting public as "class A". The truth is that most, if not all, are in reality cathode-biased, non-negative feedback class AB amplifiers, contrary to what the manufacturer's literature may say.

So wait? My Blue Angel is NOT PURE CLASS A?

This seems odd, SINCE IT CLEARLY SAY'S IT IS!

PURE

CLASS

A.

Solid state slaving with LSS works well - I use an AER Compact 60 for just this purpose, so effectively have a 100W LSS - as classY as you like.

Clean as a whistle, the AER weighs almost nothing and is tiny.

pusher said:
No, you guys are right on many levels. I wanted to be sure about what I was asking for so I went back and read the great paper (Class A Exposed http://www.mesaboogie.com/US/Smith/ClassA-WebVersion.htm) on what class A really means byb Randy Smith.

Anyway, I'm still after the tone first and foremost (isn't that why we're here?). The LSS is still not going to cut it even with an extra cab in a full blown band situation, I believe. I'm a jazzer and jazz blues player. I need headroom for clean sparkel - both for chords and leads.

Getting rid of the Studio Pre/50:50 is going to be hard. But I'm now leaning to the 5:50 Express. I would guess that the 5 watt true Class A channel would be just for in the house and recording. I've read great reserves about the A/B section clean tone.

Any other suggestions?

Much thanks to all - this is a cool board.

push

The direct out on the back of the LSS is post-class A power section. You could amp this signal w/a clean power amp to get the LSS tone at any wattage you want.

Guys, at the end of the day, does it really matter whether your amp is class A or A/B? I mean seriously. If you like your amp, then like it. I believe the blue angel is true class A, but thats neither here nor there. I am not going to take the word of some guy who wrote an article to market his own amps against his competition. that goes for both the aiken dude AND randy smith. I'm going to try the amp for myself, and if I like it, and it gets me what I need, then I am going to buy it. regardless of public opinion, hype, and definetly regardless of marketing bullcrap.

I have a Rectoverb (A/B) and a Crate V32 (class A)

I like the gain better on the ROV (A/B) and the clean on the Crate (A).

The F-50 and Lonestar have some of the nicest cleans I've ever heard (A/B)

The Maverick is Class A and its cleans aren't as nice as the F-50 and the gain isn't as nice as the Rectoverb.

What does this mean? It means the class of operation is a guideline and not a grade scale. Pick the amp that sounds nice to your ears!

Schmoog said:
Guys, at the end of the day, does it really matter whether your amp is class A or A/B? I mean seriously. If you like your amp, then like it. I believe the blue angel is true class A, but thats neither here nor there. I am not going to take the word of some guy who wrote an article to market his own amps against his competition. that goes for both the aiken dude AND randy smith. I'm going to try the amp for myself, and if I like it, and it gets me what I need, then I am going to buy it. regardless of public opinion, hype, and definetly regardless of marketing bullcrap.

Maybe I'm just being an idiot here, but to me the sound signature of the amp is what I want to invest in. For me, the LSS meets that need perfectly. So, if I needed to take that sound I love and make it louder I would probably start with an extension cab...if that is not enough, mic it through PA...and/or if I had the $$$ buy multiple amps and run them in tandem. There are lots of examples of large venue performers with a stack of 4 or more combo amps behind them.

My goal is to round out the number and quality of sounds I can get by eventually getting a Mark IV which will fill in about every gap I could conceive of having.

You're right, Mountainfever, absolutely right. I can't speak for the others, but I'm just having a little fun.
I do know that my little amp sounds great clean, it has a very nice retro feel to it.
I really would like to play through an old Silvertone, though.
And a Bassman, a Twin Reverb, a 50/50...

Latest posts

Back