Which Boogie product is Class A and 50 Watts?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pusher

Reaction score
Need a suggestion:

I love the tone of the LSS 30 watt but need it in a 50-65 watt, but NOT the weight of the 100 watt.

Which amp would you recommend?

Thanks for any help you can give,

pusher

I may get flamed here, but an early 50 Caliber is supposed to be 50 watts, Class A. A big plus is the MC-90 Black shadow.
It's got 4 6BQ5's (EL84). I'd reccomend one with an EQ.
There were a handfull of exceptions, but the 50 Caliber + is different, and it has 2 6L6's.

Why the concern about Class A? The Lonestar has a specific voice and just because the amp is defined as Class A won't mean that it sounds like the LSS. Please be careful about pigeon-holing a method of tube usage as opposed to the whole package.

pusher said:
Need a suggestion:

I love the tone of the LSS 30 watt but need it in a 50-65 watt, but NOT the weight of the 100 watt.

Which amp would you recommend?

Thanks for any help you can give,

pusher

mesanomad100 said:
MKIV is 85watts and is class A
It's only 85Watts in simul-class, full power, pentode.
Switching to class A makes this roughly 50watts, after which you can use triode and tweed power to reduce this even further.

A Mark IV is pretty heavy too. The short head weighs the same as a Dual Rec. While the medium weighs 4 lbs. more.

And a warning about Class A. Most get hot enough to cook eggs if played for more than 1/2 hour.

Russ said:
A Mark IV is pretty heavy too. The short head weighs the same as a Dual Rec. While the medium weighs 4 lbs. more.

Nobody has listed an amp that actually does it, because no one makes a 50w class A amp.

The Mark IV is definitely not 50 watts in class A mode.

Why do you need an extra 30 watts? You could try adding a speaker cabinet if you need a bigger sound.

I thought the MKIV was about 15watts in class A,Im sure thats the point of Class A,getting all the sweetness from a valve amp at lower volumes and levels of saturation becuase it is 15watts etc. I dont know of any 50watts Class A amp,perhaps try one of the old rectifier series like the Maverick or the Blue Angel

This said it might be utter bollocks but I thought that class A was very small wattages like 15watts for saturation at lower level??

I dont know of any 50watts Class A amp,perhaps try one of the old rectifier series like the Maverick or the Blue Angel

This said it might be utter bollocks but I thought that class A was very small wattages like 15watts for saturation at lower level??

I believe you're correct sir...any more wattage necessity and it's a push/pull or A/B circuit.

The Blue Angel only goes up to 38 watts with 33 and 15 dialable, respectively. I'm sure the Maverick is similar.

Thunder Monkey,one thanks you fine sir,

I thought one was right in thinking so but didnt know if one should express this thought or not

thanks once again :wink: :wink:

No, you guys are right on many levels. I wanted to be sure about what I was asking for so I went back and read the great paper (Class A Exposed http://www.mesaboogie.com/US/Smith/ClassA-WebVersion.htm) on what class A really means byb Randy Smith.

Anyway, I'm still after the tone first and foremost (isn't that why we're here?). The LSS is still not going to cut it even with an extra cab in a full blown band situation, I believe. I'm a jazzer and jazz blues player. I need headroom for clean sparkel - both for chords and leads.

Getting rid of the Studio Pre/50:50 is going to be hard. But I'm now leaning to the 5:50 Express. I would guess that the 5 watt true Class A channel would be just for in the house and recording. I've read great reserves about the A/B section clean tone.

Any other suggestions?

Much thanks to all - this is a cool board.

push

phyrexia said:
The Mark IV is definitely not 50 watts in class A mode.
Right.:roll:

From the mark IV manual:

Code:
SIMUL-CLASS / CLASS A SWITCH:
This switch selects between two-tube and four-tube operation in the power section. In the CLASS A position, only the two end power tubes are active, producing around 30 watts before clipping when operating in TRIODE, or 50 watts when in PENTODE.

phyrexia said:
Nobody has listed an amp that actually does it, because no one makes a 50w class A amp.

:?:

I did.

This subject has come up before. Some amplifier companies (includuding Boogie) use the term "Class A" for a push pull setup. My amp clearly states "Class A" on the back, and the manual says it is 50 watts.

http://www.aikenamps.com/SingleEnded.htm

Randall Smith's article, with all due respect to him as great amp builder, is a marketing piece, and misleading. The only Class A amp that Mesa makes is the LSS, and only when operating in 5 W mode.

Forget about the operating class. Buy the amp that sounds good to you.

I think you're improperly mixing a conversation about "single-ended vs. push-pull configuration" with "class A vs. class A/B". they are different issues.

An amp that is designed for the power tubes to run in class A can be built as single-ended *or* push-pull. The LSS does BOTH. single-ended in 5W mode (with a single tube), and push-pull in 15W (2 tubes) or 30W mode (4 tubes).

If you play Jazz, and you need that sparkle, class A might not be the right road. Try a Roland Jazz amp...I used to play one with my trio, and it sounded killer!

I can not believe this is even a discussion.

Look the Lone Star Special should be loud enough for a jazz band. My Maverick shurely is, but I don't require 100% clean tone either. Still at 100% clean if your jazz band has good players you should be playing at about half the volume of rock or metal band. Still all besides the point, sorry.

Now for some help. You like the sound of the LSS right? It has the tone, right? What you think you need is more clean power, right?

Well this is simple and shows that alot of people on this forum arn't sure how to run amps, because no one mentioned the clear choice. Which could be many choices of how to do this, but:

USE THE DIRECT OUT AND SLAVE TO ANOTHER CLEAN POWER SOURCE!!!!!!!!!!

Could be a MarkI, could be a any yr. Twin Reverb, could be a Ampeg V-4 combo, or any other high powered combo for a all in one package.

You could also get crazy and buy a rack mounted 20/20 or 50/50 or any of the other 100 different tube power amps offered. What's nice about this is you could add a BBE Sonicmaxizer right into the rack and have the best sound you can think of.

You could actually use a high quality solid state power amp as it will faithfully reproduce the Lonestars tone as long as you get a couple hundred watt model. They are lighter. Sort of....

But, that is the best and most over looked option you and all of us Mesa users have.... I do it with my Maverick from time to time, but really have no reason to do so.

Latest posts

Back