Which attenuator for my single recto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melvin1011

Reaction score
I'm thinking at this point I need an attenuator because this amp really sounds best when it's cranked, but I'm not sure which would be better, the THD Hotplate or the Weber MASS. Any thoughts?

I had a Hot Plate hooked up to a Rect-o-verb. It was excellent.

I now have it hooked up to my LSC ............. still excellent.

If I was going to try something different it would be the Dr. Z Airbrake. It doesn't have a treble or bass boost for extreme (bedroom) levels but it will work with different ohm ratings. With the Hot Plate one unit is for one specific ohm.

Either way this is VERY IMPORTANT. These things ARE NOT miracle workers. The Hot Plate is great for what it is and it's very transparent. I could not "cook" the tubes (at home) without it. However, nothing replaces the sound of your amp "wide opened" and remember, "speaker vibration" is also a factor for your tone.

Whatever you buy .............. be realistic with your expectations.

I'm real happy with the Hot Plate, so are my ears and so is "my wife".
I get great tone without losing my hearing and she gets to watch TV or read in the other room (in peace) while I'm playing. It's a "win / win" situation. (Everybody's happy)

Hope this helped. Good luck!

Bob

I've been using the Hotplate lately and really like it. Everything that Bob says if right.

I don't know what the power rating of your amp is, but the MASS is 100W tops and the Hotplate goes over 150W, I think. My LSC is rated at 100W, but can burst to 120W, so itis important to understand that.

I used a MASS on my old Marshall DSL50 and found it very nice. The Hotplate seems very similar.

jlg

cnumb44 said:
I've been using the Hotplate lately and really like it. Everything that Bob says if right.

I don't know what the power rating of your amp is, but the MASS is 100W tops and the Hotplate goes over 150W, I think. My LSC is rated at 100W, but can burst to 120W, so itis important to understand that.

I used a MASS on my old Marshall DSL50 and found it very nice. The Hotplate seems very similar.

jlg

You are correct, the hotplate is rated at 185W RMS Max.

I like my hotplate, just got one and played with it a few days ago.

I have a hotplate and think they are a waste of time with the Recto's.

Its great with my JTM 45 though

Broken said:

I'm curious as well... I run mine with my Dual Rectifier and it's lightyears ahead in tone and quality.

To each their own I suppose :)

Melvin1011 said:
Broken said:

Why do you think they are a waste of time with the Rectos?

I just found it compressed my sound to much and I lost some touch response.

But give it a try, it might be just what the doctor ordered :D

I use a Hotplate.....couldn't be happier.

FWIW, last I heard Mesa recommended the Hotplate, and Bogner uses Hotplates in their testing facilities.

Latest posts

Back