Which amp would you buy...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How would a Racktifier do in a 80's rock/pop cover band? Can you get non-heavy tones out of these.

ned said:
How would a Racktifier do in a 80's rock/pop cover band? Can you get non-heavy tones out of these.

My spontaneous answer would be yes, but I'm not sure how good. I can probably give more detailed info soon since I have a Rectoverb incoming.

I'd probably get an XTC101b, a Road King or a Mark V. Not sure which though. I play some of everything except the br00tz, if/when I play metal it's more like metalcore/old thrash/classic metal.

I have had a ton of amps in the past and currently own an XTC101b. Very versatile amp and the tone is amazing. Very well rounded, from clean to heavy and everywhere in between. Lots of options. I am likely going to pick up a Roadster to go with it, cause I miss the Mesa tone!!

All of the amps mentioned are great and it really would be hard to go wrong with any of them though!!

I mentioned a few posts back that the 101b is not my end all, be all amp. I just re-tubed and biased last night, and after jamming out for a few hours today, I think I may have changed my mind.

Not only does the Ecstasy sound incredible, but the way it bites each note is something that leaves every other amp I've played through in the dust. Easily my favorite amp around.

Mesa: Mark V or a Stiletto Stage II

Non Mesa: Splawn Nitro, Framus Cobra or a Peters Chimera. Bogners just have TOO much low for me.

For $1300, I'd recommend checking out some Riveras. For that money, you could get several new models and on the used side, you could probably find some nice heads or the larger combos. Heck, one of the older but versatile M/S series amps is easily under $1300 and you'll have a ton of flexibility, if that's what you seek.

But if you are seeking ultimate plexi-style tones for that rock or blues/rock sound, it's hard to beat a good plexi copy. $1300 is on the cusp of getting a good-quality 50-watt head from someone like RJS Ampification, but you could likely find a good used plexi-style amp for $1300. Add an ABY switch and you can have essentially 3 separate tones from a 6-knob plexi.

Good luck to you.

They've always been so far out of my price range that i've never even considered which one i would buy if i had gobs of cash lying around....by i'd love to own an Orange amp. I just don't know which one yet :lol:

Oh Bro don't buy an Orange! I went out to find the "ultimate amp"and tried every boutique thing for HOURS,I even gave the shoppe owner $20 for staying there so long and using electricity . The AD30 Orange Combo in the end, was very impotent. Good tone at first glance but proved itself a cheap alternative to a handwired VOX/ Marshall. Unless you get the limited Orange Handmade one...

Idk, if i was getting a mesa, i would probably get a Triaxis, 50/50 and a 2X12 cab, rr a Mark V, or a Mark II c+.

If it was other brands, mabye some sort of Marshall Plexi, a Dumble, or a Fuchs.

Latest posts

Back