Which amp to buy...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMesa

Reaction score
So I am looking for a small house amp, must be a high gain amp but I would love versatility. Right now I am looking at the F-30 and Rectoverb since I have had a chance to play those. But what about some of the older Mesa's like the Mark, Studio, DC, etc....

What do you think is the best small combo amp Mesa has to offer for a budget of $1000? Thanks

IMO, the Mark IV is Mesa's ultimate amp...I was very happy with my Dual rectifier, but after a year of owning it, the tones got bland and boring....the Rectifiers really only excel at their one trademark tone...while they are fairly versatile also, the other tones are mediocre at best.

I'm switching to a Mark IV as we speak...much better tones in there, and definitely more so versatile.

I would go with a MKIV Amazing amps. Pretty much anything you want is in there... Great live or practicing in your bedroom. And you won't need a set of weights. Seriously... the weight/ wait is the only deterrent... these are in Mesa's top 2 or 3 (RKII and MKIIC+included) in my opinion.

How about the studio 22? I can get the 22 and an extension cab for under $700.

If I had $1000 and wanted a versatile small Boogie for the house, it would be the DC-3 combo stacked on top of a 1x12 thiele extension cab.

Or, you could save up another $200 and try for a used MkIV combo.
Just my 2 cents 8) .

BigMesa said:
How about the studio 22? I can get the 22 and an extension cab for under $700.

Probally get the 22 but the cabinet would be pushing it with $700.
Platypus said:
Grab a used Mark or a DC3
I agree with Platypus!
I had a 22 and loved it did not need a cabinet that thing was a little monster all by itself, but you would probally be happier with a Mark III or IV. I currently use an IV and also want to get an III then maybe work on the II C+

You should be able to get a Mark IV combo for $1000 used.

If I had $1000 and wanted a versatile small Boogie for the house, it would be the DC-3 combo stacked on top of a 1x12 thiele extension cab.

:D :D :D This is what I am currently using, and it is absolutely KICK ***!!!!!!!!!!!

I currently own a DC-3, DC-5, DC-10, Studio 22+, Heartbreaker & a Blue Angel.

I have owned a Mark IV, Roadster head, Tremoverb head, 2 Dual Rec 2-channel heads, Nomads, Simul 2-90, and many others. The DC-3 for the price and preformance is hands down my favorite Mesa of all time. It can go from very low volume, to loud as hell, especially with the Thiele cab that I got from Joey. I could not be happier with my tone. Plus the EQ is footswitchable so you can have a great lead boost with the tap of a button.

Latest posts

Back