Which 50w all tube head + 4x12 cabs for classic rock/Metal?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poj

Reaction score
want to buy 50w all tube head + 4x12 cabs to play in my bedroom.
Use it to play classic rock and metal mainly.
My budget is around $2,000.
Should have FX loop to use with my pedal board.(DE7 delay, Small Clone,MXR phase90, RMC3 wah, MI tube zone, Skreddy mayo, Silver kiss etc.)
Should have good master volume so I can play it at low volume ans still got good sound.
My guitar is Musicman Luke. (and Musicman Axis in the near future.)

What would you recommend?
Please help, Thanks.

Check out the Stiletto Ace.

Perfect for classic rock... metal, not really what it's made for but it's doable. (lots of metal groups use the stiletto)

Stiletto 4x12 cab for it.

Yeah I was about to recommend the Ace head.

But the single recto solo head or the single recto rectoverb head is also a good choice as well.

Poj said:
wow you must have a LARGE bedroom

lailer75 said:
Poj said:
wow you must have a LARGE bedroom
You beat me to it!

Geesh, no kidding!

Waddaya live in a warehouse??? :lol:
I would think a 2x12 would MORE than suffice for bedroom jamming.

I've already got Epi Valve jr. and Fender sidekick 15 reverb. This will be my #3 amp. I want a new amp which can move the air and I can crank it up when on one's around.

I may scale it down to mini stack like Express 5:50, but I don't like the "burn" mode of the express, I think F-50 sounds better. And the Express's got both Love and Hate reviews, I'm not sure if it's good or not. (I can't test it myself, no mesa dealer in my country.Have to order directly with Mesa boogie.)

A 2x12 with head is interesting.
Thanks.

JPIndustrie said:
Yeah I was about to recommend the Ace head.

But the single recto solo head or the single recto rectoverb head is also a good choice as well.
I've found som clips of the Ace. After listened to it, I think I don't like what I heard.

But I like the recto clips. There's many recto model, can anyone suggest which model will fit my need?

well...this gets a little complicated now. the 50w rectos don't have the same features as a dual recto. a triple recto and a dual recto have the same features, but the triple is 150watts :shock: the dual has the ability to be dropped down to 50watts, so this may be your choice right here. as far as classic rock goes however, i think you should test a stilleto. they do the classic marshall sounds, whereas with the recto you are leaning more towards modern heavy sounds.

I wouldn't rule out an amp based on sound clips heard through computer speakers. Checkout the Stiletto Ace 112 Combo. It's excellent and perfect for practice/performance applications.

A used F-50 head is also a good idea. They pop up on ebay ever so often and they arent too bad on the wallet.

I mean, for 50 watts, the Single Rectifier solo head (the one with the treadplate) or the Rectoverb head are perfrect. They only have 2 channels but the amp in total has 5 modes.

If you really want the Dual Recto's 3 channels, you can get one and pull 2 tubes to effectively make it 50 Watts.

JPIndustrie said:
I mean, for 50 watts, the Single Rectifier solo head (the one with the treadplate) or the Rectoverb head are perfrect. They only have 2 channels but the amp in total has 5 modes.
Throw an OD pedal down and !!!BAM!!!

Instant third channel (and a lesson in tap-dancing :lol: )

rabies said:
JCM 800 (can do classic and metal I used to have one)

Mesa Mark IV

Good combination.... Oh wait, I have that combination!!!

I also have a JMP 50 watter. <--- excellent classic rock amp straight up and metal is capable through pedals too

Elpelotero said:
well...this gets a little complicated now. the 50w rectos don't have the same features as a dual recto. a triple recto and a dual recto have the same features, but the triple is 150watts :shock: the dual has the ability to be dropped down to 50watts, so this may be your choice right here. as far as classic rock goes however, i think you should test a stilleto. they do the classic marshall sounds, whereas with the recto you are leaning more towards modern heavy sounds.
Thanks, but I can't test it. There's no Mesa dealer in my country. I have to order direct with mesa boogie if I decide to buy it.

JPIndustrie said:
A used F-50 head is also a good idea. They pop up on ebay ever so often and they arent too bad on the wallet.

If you really want the Dual Recto's 3 channels, you can get one and pull 2 tubes to effectively make it 50 Watts.
I need it to be 220v. version, so I can't buy used which is 110v.
Thanks, I will check it out.

rabies said:
JCM 800 (can do classic and metal I used to have one)
Mesa Mark IV
Genz Benz gflex 2x12
Interesting. But it's 100 watt head. Do you think it's overkill?
I also like the Marshall JVM's clip.

I can buy them. The only concern is it's a 100 watt head.

Rocco Stiletto said:
I wouldn't rule out an amp based on sound clips heard through computer speakers. Checkout the Stiletto Ace 112 Combo. It's excellent and perfect for practice/performance applications.
Thanks, but I can't do it. No mesa dealer in my country.

Even if it does has, I may still can't try it out. I called Marshall dealer asking about JVM and JCM800, they said they don't have them in stock. If I want it , I have to place order, no test before buy. The same thing happens with Rivera dealer in my country too. (We don't have it in stock but if you need it you have pay for deposit and we will specially order it for you.)

Ok, I can see why it would be difficult to access a lot of amps before you buy now.

Back