Where do you guys get your drum sounds?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschoendorff

Reaction score
When clips are posted here, they are almost always accompanied by drums. Assuming that not everyone here plays drums... where should one go to find drum patterns for song clips?

Just FYI, I have Logic Express 8, but I haven't messed with it much yet. Anyway to get good drum sounds from that? Also... how do you incorporate the drums into a song (ie: a simple repetitive drum loop doesn't cut it) with fills, break downs, etc.

Thanks...

Ed

I use Guitar Pro and program all the patterns myself. You start with a simple 4/4 pattern and just learn how to incorporate more stuff into a beat and where it belongs.

Then when I'm done with the pattern, I export it as a MIDI file and drop it into Garage Band and use their FX to get a semi-decent sound for a processed drum kit.

http://www.myspace.com/davidnorrismusic
for reference listen to "Shotgun" because the first song is almost completely MIDI-ised using this process. I just felt like making something more digital on that one.

eschoendorff said:
where should one go to find drum patterns for song clips?

Here is one amongst many: EZdrummer
fairly good sounding, easy to use and relatively worth the money and runs smooth in Logic as well.

I use it with REAPER and it worx great!

/nicke

+1 for EZDrummer

I use it as a VST plug-in for Cubase, and it works wonders. The basic pack comes with a standard pop/rock drum-kit, and a bunch of sample patterns and fills that you can string together if you are too lazy or don't know how to write your own drums. They are fired by a MIDI track, just like most other things. From there, you can download add-on packs that supply you with different drum-kits and other patterns for different styles. A really popular add-on for it is Drumkit from Hell which is basically the drumkit that Tomas Haake from Meshuggah uses. He did all the hits for the samples, and all the drum sounds are based off gear he uses. I use this one most often, it sounds great. You can also get Vintage Rock kits and other ethnic stuff as well. Lots to explore with this program.

The reason I like it most is cuz you can split each drum out to a separate track for EQ'ing, processing, etc, and it also includes 2 mics on the snare (top and bottom mic), as well as a decent overhead mic pair and a room mic pair. Many sounds can be made with this... and if you are a fan of Meshuggah, listen to their album Catch 33... it was made entirely with drums from EZDrummer and Drumkit from Hell, so that will give you an idea of the massive sounds you can achieve with this if you play your cards right.

Beatcraft is a cheap but good introductory program. It has a decent selection of kits and eq controls. It's somewhere in the $30 to $40 range I think. You can sequence patterns or create a whole track from scratch, plugging in every single note yourself.

After creating a track, you "render" it by converting it to a wav file, then import that file into your recording platform. I use both Mixcraft and Pro Tools and have never had a problem with either one, though Mixcraft is a bit easier with respect to Beatcraft, because everytime you edit a drum track and re-render it, the changes automatically appear in your track list without having to re-import the whole track. This is not the case with Pro Tools, so I'll often build the rhythm and drum tracks on Mixcraft first.

Anyway here's some examples of the drum sound. Leads are sketchy, owing to cheapness of the guitar and to my very minimal recording set up. (Not to mention my hacky playing). But you'll the idea. I should also mention that the drums in these weren't manipulated at all in terms of eq. The only adjustments made were for volume.

http://www.myspace.com/theharringtonsband

When we record stuff with my band we use a roland td-20 for recording the midi track and for the sounds as well.
when i record at home i use XLN Audio addictive drums and just create the drum tracks in cubase myself

I've been using Drums on Demand loops for several years now... they're easy to work with, flexible, and sound pretty good out of the box. They sound even better with a touch of compression (my plug-in of choice = Ozone).

--B

I use addictive drums as a plugin in FL Studio. Both fl and addictive drums have free demos.

www.flstudio.com
http://xlnaudio.com/?page=downloads&d_page=demoversion

Superior Drummer 2.0 from Toontrack is amazing... and their 'metal foundry' expansion pack is more metal than you could ever begin to imagine :twisted:

http://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=51

http://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=30

loving the 'drag and drop'...

bernerdawg said:
Beatcraft is a cheap but good introductory program. It has a decent selection of kits and eq controls. It's somewhere in the $30 to $40 range I think. You can sequence patterns or create a whole track from scratch, plugging in every single note yourself.
If you like beatcraft, then try downloading rhythm rascal. its a freeware until you want to render the song as a wav file. It then introduces 'clicks' into the rendered wave file. but its almost the same otherwise like beatcraft. :)

I stick with Toontrack. EZdrummer, some of their expansions, Superior Drummer and expansions for that, and I have every drum sound im ever going to need. And the ability to tweak them all to my liking and well enough that people arent going to know they are fake drums.

Latest posts

Back