Where can I hear some demo's?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrt

Reaction score
Is there a site that has demo's of mesa amps? SOUND?

I'm just in them market for a newer mesa, and I dont know what the hell they sound like?

Thanks...

The rigs and tones section of this board is a good place to start.
Here's another site
http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section2=amp

Elpelotero said:
what styles/bands are you seeking to capture?

I really thought I had it with the stiletto, but for the solo's it didn't have enough gain...

so I wanted to hear the stage 2 or the ace...

or maybe something older? like the mark IV?

Thats my thing too danvortex.....

I FREAKING HATE ALL PEDALS!!!! (outside of a wah)

I need something with a gritty, dirty over the top tone, and also something that cleans up nice with just rolling back on guitar volume?

I understand that you don't like pedals, i didn't like them before i learned from other guitar players how to use an OD. I don't know what kind of music you play but i'm into metal and all the amps i played including bogner, mesa, engl, marshall, 5150 etc... sounded better with an OD in front with no gain but lots of level and tone and also less gain on the amp. I have also worked with many engineers and soundmans live and in the studio and most of them use ODs in front for metal. You'd be surprised how many well known guitar players use an OD in front of their amp live and in the studio and people don't have a clue this is what they are doing.

Mark IV here,..also a couple of other Mesa's

http://www.proguitar.de/AudioDemo/CompareAmps/CompareAmps.html

danvortex said:
I understand that you don't like pedals, i didn't like them before i learned from other guitar players how to use an OD. I don't know what kind of music you play but i'm into metal and all the amps i played including bogner, mesa, engl, marshall, 5150 etc... sounded better with an OD in front with no gain but lots of level and tone and also less gain on the amp. I have also worked with many engineers and soundmans live and in the studio and most of them use ODs in front for metal. You'd be surprised how many well known guitar players use an OD in front of their amp live and in the studio and people don't have a clue this is what they are doing.

I know... I just expect when buying a 1500- 2000 dollar amp I would have it taylor made for my style... I should have learned that 10 amps ago!!! LMAO!

What OD pedals do you think work well? does it all depend on the amp? I play heavy rock/ metal. something like Maiden but a bit more gritty and heavy.

But thats guys for the links!!

if you want to play maiden style music, and not have to delve into the thunder of a rectifier, give the Stilleto another try and throw an OD pedal on top for solos, such as the Maxon808. Other than that, the Mark2c+, 3, or 4 are the only Mesa amps that will give you liquidy smooth lead tones without the need for an OD pedal. However, these amps have their own unique voicing that is unlike the Marshall sound used by Maiden.

The C+ and 3 are most famous for the Metallica, Dream Theater sound, while the 4 is capable of doing almost anything.

good info... (you're the 4th person to tell me to try the Maxon808 with the stiletto)

HERE THE QUESTION...... How do you pedal guys pull it off?

I use a midi foot control by AXESS, and that switches my gear for solo's. I press a button and I have all the delay I need, all the boost, whatever I need is all right there with one push.. The best thing I think I ever got was T.C G-force.

The only way I see myself using a OD or tube screamer is if I leave it on while I'm playing all the time, or finding a way to loop in VIA midi.

Personally I don't like putting an OD in front of my amps, but I also use higher output pups. I also like to take as little as possible to a gig. You might want to try some higher output pups in your guitar, it will probably end up costing less than getting certain OD pedals as well.

I use Super distortions in all my guitars, all gibson V's and explorers. ... It was a big help!

If you take a listen to thin lizzy(jailbrake ONLY the studio version) thats the tone I WANT!! I come pretty close with the stiletto, but there's no tight low end. and NO sustain for solo's???

And marshall is a joke!!! I've owned just about ever marshall there is.. JMP heads, all sound different, 800's are the best but the dont have a FX loop, and if you add one it sucks the tone out.

i have tried many Ods including an original 1982 tube screamer and a maxon professionnal overdrive. The funny thing is that the one i prefer i also one of the sheapest and it is very good for leads : MXR Zakk Wyld OD.

I'm not a rackmount guy but the only way i can think of to take it out of the signal is to have a loop that can be triggered via midi and you put the pedal in the loop. This is exactly what i do but i don't use midi. I had a custom switcher made for me. One of the switcher's footswitch will let me go from a channel to another on my DR while letting the signal go through 2 different loops in the switcher, one at the time. When a use channel 1 (leads) the switcher let my signal go through the loop wich has my lead effects in it (wha, od with lead setting, octaver). When i switch to channel 2 for rythm the swither chooses loop 2 in wich i only have an od set for rythm. Also the DR's effect loop as a delay in it and is assigned to channel 1 wich i use for lead. with only one click i can go from a rythm tone with channel 2 to a lead tone on channel 1 with a delay in the loop and an OD and other effects in front. When i'm playing rythm all the effects are out of the signal.

sorry for the long explanation, i thought it could give you ideas for your own rig

ToneAddictJon,

On that netmusicians.org page you listed for amp sound bites there's someone who goes by J.B. that does excellent demos. I finally just went to the most posts section and listened to everything he's uploaded.

Great demos of some great amps by a great guitarist. :!:

I AM KEEPING THE STILETTO!!!

I tried out OD pedals for about 9 hours at my friends house( he owns just about every OD pedal there is....

I traded for 2 pedals.. for what ever reason the "British sound" OD sounded really, really cool. and also the TS-9... the Maxon 808 didn't sound great to me, the 808 had NO tight low end? But I was shocked to hear the AMT British sound OD with it?!?!?! WOW it just smoked the hell out of the amp!

I still might do two things?

1 put a EQ in the loop?

2 or just send to mesa to have HW mod done to it?

But again, thanks to all you guys for the help!

Latest posts

Back