When to Re-Cap?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gem12

Reaction score
Hey Guy's

I have a 97 Mesa Boogie DC 10 212 that I really like and would like to keep
maybe forever. Everything on the amp still working beautifully as it should.
But we all know that sooner or later we need to do some sort of a preventive maintenance to keep it in top shape and or within spec.
My question is when do I need to have my amp re-cap?
What are the signs that will indicate the amp needs it?
If the amp do needs it should you do a re cap on...
Power Supply Circuit only?
Pre Amp?
Power Amp?
Or a complete re cap?

Does this make sense?

The shop by me will go through and test each cap and component and let you know if something is bad. If you have somebody by you to do that that may be the route to go.

I asked this same question a while back, and the answer was "It depends", so I had it checked out. Ended up doing all the caps on a MKIIC+

I just sent my '98 Mark IV to the factory the other day to have it checked over and possibly re-capped. I've been told by everyone that they will not do any work that does not need to be done. I will definitely post what I find out when I hear back from Mesa.

Had the same questions a little over a year ago, my Mark IV at the time was 13 years old. Keep in mind I was having no problems with the amp whatsoever and to me it sounded great. If you pulled the chassis there were no leaks or bulges in the caps. But I am a big PM (preventive maintenance) guy. So I had it done by “stokes” BTW. It was just the electrolytic caps, (I think a total of 6 or 7).
Anyway he got the caps formed the caps, and then I went to his place. He flat out told me if I did not feel a difference he would put my old caps back in no charge. Anyway he did it in about 30 min or so between my questions then we fired up the amp. Pretty big difference IMO, it’s not that amp sounded so scary different but dynamics were better and it just seems more harmonically pleasing like someone pulled a thin blanket off the speakers.

This is the way I look at it. Its preventive maintenance, no slow degradation of sound (cause in my case there was a big sound difference), don’t have to worry about caps oozing or exploding which will make one hell of a mess. To me it’s kind of like tubes I don’t wait for them to die.
And the biggest for me, applies to me not sure about the rest of you. God knows I have spent money way more foolishly. So what the hell!
supergenius365 said:
The shop by me will go through and test each cap and component and let you know if something is bad.
The problem with that some of the components need to be pulled out of the circuit to test them properly. Not seeing if they are DEAD seeing if they are WEAK. So if you are that far into it might as well keep going and replace the caps, if that’s what you’re checking for in the first place. But there again that’s me.
Mark Fore said:
I just sent my '98 Mark IV to the factory the other day to have it checked over and possibly re-capped. I've been told by everyone that they will not do any work that does not need to be done. I will definitely post what I find out when I hear back from Mesa.

Heard the same unless a cap is bulging or bleeding to death Mesa won’t touch them

Thanks guys for tips and advice.
I know this will be very helpful to me and others in the future.

Latest posts

Back