What's your favorite baby Boogie amp???????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol: I was just looking at those.

What do the cleans sound like?
Is there a huge volume difference between channels?
How is the Reverb?
Can you get great tones at lower volumes?

I'm looking for a cheap, older Mesa amp, preferably lower wattage.

I have two favorites - the old Studio .22 with graphic EQ. This was my first Boogie, and I played it HARD for 7 years. I'm such an idiot for selling it.

My other is my trusty DC-3. Love this amp.

My only experience with the "Baby Boogies" is limited to the F-30 and my DC-2. That said, the DC-2 is my favorite amp and the one I grab first when I want to play. Just because something is "newer", or has "more features" does not mean it is better. I wish some of the older Boogies were still in production, I would love to custom order a Mark III head or another Caliber amp.

Subway Blues is perfection atop a widebody 1x12 (EV) or all alone. Dang cute little thing, too :wink: . Z

DSCN3623Clipse.jpg

Monsta-Tone said:
Man, that thing is tiny. How does it sound???

I love it, but I am a big fan of small, low-wattage amps that can be cranked up to 3/4 volume and give up the goods ('65 Gibson GA20RVT and '65 Ampeg J-12 Jet inda house, too :D ). I did a series loop mod and had to excorcise a reverb tank rattle, but it is a great sounding amp for certain. Loves pedals, and has a stellar reverb. Some liken it to a small Vox (AC15) or Fender Princeton Reverb, but it is its own flavor I think - a Mini Mark in my estimation :wink:

There is no "gain" on the Subway, but anything over 12:00 on the volume and it starts to get hairier, plus the mid control REALLY influences the dirt factor. Mine has a 1/2 power (10 watts) jack for even lower volume grindage, and set up with the widebody cab on a big stage it totally hangs at show level with 20 sweet watts of el84 splendor(the '65 Gibby shines as well in much the same manner). It is the perfect sidekick to my MKIIC+ in every way, especially portability :wink: . Z

I just got a lovely little Studio 22+ :D No graphic EQ on this one, but its in fine shape. A high end tube screamer and a GE-7 oughta get me some decent bedroom volume metal.

Can’t really say I have a favorite they all yield a certain type of magic for different situations but I would go with Mark IV & III also .22 & the Subway Rocket.
The Subway I also found a great little meat & potatoes amp, no reverb, shared EQ (doesn’t sound appealing) but never had to fight to get a good sound. Use to love to record clean with the amp many times didn’t even use an extension cab the little 10” speaker sounded awesome.

desertcj said:
I love the DC Series and would have to say the DC-3 is my favorite Low Watt Mesa

I had a DC-3 and foolishly sold it. I'll get another one someday.

On a side note, I just picked up a Subway Rocket and this little thing rocks!!! Pics tomorrow :)

Subway Rocket is a top class baby Boogie.

Sounds decent for low volume practice, but a totally giggable 20 watts. Never a fan of the contour, though...actually the reverb wasn't that great either.

Still, for £375 you won't find anything finer.

Latest posts

Back