Whats wrong with me?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
I think I have a problem?? I can't keep an amp for more than a few months without wanting to sell it or trade it off.... I currently have a Tremoverb head and a Tremoverb combo and for about a week I was totally satisfied and then all of a sudden I caught myself on ebay today looking at amps?!?!?! Am I the only one that is like this? Here's my amp history for the last 2 years:

* 1977 Fender Deluxe (used with my Digitech RP2000)-
Traded for
* 1973 Fender Twin -
then got
* Line 6 Spider 2x12 combo, kept it for 1 month
Sold that for
* Rocktorn Replitone
Sold the RP200o and got
* a 2nd Rocktorn Repliton
Sold both Replitones after 2 months and got
* Line 6 HD147 and a Peavey 4x12 cab
Sold the Peavey 4x12 and got a
* Genz Benz 2x12
I then sold my 1975 Fender Prinston 1x10 and got
* another Genz benz 2x12
I then sold my Line 6 HD147 after 3 months for a
* Line 6 Vetta I head (upgraded to 2.03)
I then sold my Vetta head after 2 months and got
* a Peavey XXX head
I then sold my Peavey XXX after 4 months and one of my Genz Benz
for a
* Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
I sold the triple rectifier after 6 months for a
* Tremoberb head
Some where in there, I traded my Twin in for a PODxt Live and $100 and then sold that and put a little extra with it and got a
* Rectoverb Combo
I sold the Rectoverb combo after 4 months and got
* a Tremoberb Combo.

And somewhere along the line I started with a Behringer V-amp II and ended up with a Podxt and traded that for a Vox Tonelab SE and also aquired a Mesa boogie V-Twin along the way.

All of this is in a 2 year span!!

My current rig is listed in my signature.... But I found myself thinking about selling my Tremoberb head and getting a Rivera Knucklehead, Bogner Shiva or an Orange Rockerverb just to have something different.

I don't have a lot of money, I just sell and buy new-old stuff and I do probably loose a little here and there along the way too.

Am I nuts??

Yes, you probably are nuts......But so are alot of us, just not so much in two years... When you purchase an amp, you go through a sweetheart phase, then a learning/discovering phase, then a content phase, then a "wanting more" phase...
Much like dating... :lol:
There's so much out there, new amps with features, vintage amps with tone....I don't sell ANYTHING anymore, I just add....
ax. :twisted:

Tele....it breaks my heart to say this but.....no, you're not crazy. :lol: You have Gear Acquisition Syndrone...commonly known as GAS. You also act on a realization that most of us control...and that is that there is no perfect amp, sound, style, etc. Music is a wonderfully diverse art and cannot be pigeon-holed by one thing. What it sounds like to me is that you play many types of music and employ a tonal range that can't be reproduced by one amp. Actually, never mind.... you're nuts!! 8)
tele_jas said:
I think I have a problem?? I can't keep an amp for more than a few months without wanting to sell it or trade it off.... I currently have a Tremoverb head and a Tremoverb combo and for about a week I was totally satisfied and then all of a sudden I caught myself on ebay today looking at amps?!?!?! Am I the only one that is like this? Here's my amp history for the last 2 years:

Traded for
* 1973 Fender Twin -
then got
Sold that for
* Rocktorn Replitone
Sold the RP200o and got
* Genz Benz 2x12
* another Genz benz 2x12
* a Peavey XXX head
for a
I sold the triple rectifier after 6 months for a Tremoberb head
Some where in there, I traded my Twin in for a PODxt Live and $100 and then sold that and put a little extra with it and got a
* Rectoverb Combo
* a Tremoberb Combo.

And somewhere along the line I started with a Behringer V-amp II and ended up with a Podxt and traded that for a Vox Tonelab SE and also aquired a Mesa boogie V-Twin along the way.

My current rig is listed in my signature.... But I found myself thinking about selling my Tremoberb head and getting a Rivera Knucklehead, Bogner Shiva or an Orange Rockerverb just to have something different.

I don't have a lot of money, I just sell and buy new stuff and I do probably loose a little here and there along the way too.

Am I nuts??

My rich buddy who's occupation is into real estates is similiar to you. He purchase an amp per a month. He would be selling, trading, etc ...

Blue Angel, Mark II, Marshall BluesBreaker, Dr. Z Route 66 and countless others I haven't kept track of that he has sold, or trade-in. That includes his guitars too.

But there's keepers like his Trem-o-Verb, PreCBS Twin, Zinky ...

I don't have that luxary, and I'm not that or as obessed.

You are not alone in your disorder. But maybe you have that "it greener on the other side" where you think your next amp will be the one!

GAS? I've seen that term used before.... I guess it's contageous? And it seems to get worse all the time! Is there a cure for it? A Road King maybe? :lol:.

I remember from about 1993 until about 2003 I used one amp, a 1970 Fender Deluxe and maybe 3 differnt multi FX foot pedals in that span and one wah pedal and one tubescreamer. Back then I was playing mainly Country music (but loved rock), and now I'm mainly playing Rock music (and love country music).

oh....I forgot a few amps.

* Peavey Classic 30 (gone)
* Behringer V-Ampire 1x12 (gone)
* Behringer GMX210 (2x10 combo) - (Gone)
* another Peavey Classic 30 (Gone)

tele_jas said:
Here's my amp history for the last 2 years:

Here's mine;

1) Mesa Recto Pre/2:100

2) Laney Iommi

Fortunatly, I don't suffer gas to the same degree that you do....and I won't sell an old amp to buy a new one.

I am saving to buy number three though.....

3) Ampeg SVT-2Pro

I've had my Dual Rec for five years! Before that it was a Carvin XV212 for sixteen years! Now with guitars, thats a different story! Though I think I'm set now, three PRSi later. :shock:

Hey. I'm new. nice name tele_jas. love them tele's.
That is a spectacular pile of amps i'd die to have, but as someone whos saving for a rectoverb head and has tried them out...

what were you aiming for when you sold the rov for another tov? just personal preference? never tried the tremo's myself. were you going for a backup, even? Dedicated, if you even back up your boogies...

thx, i enjoy reading you folks ramble :)

Would this be the wrong thread to say that I am perfectly happy with my LSS and cab and have no intention of changing either for a very long time? :D

Die you evil spawn of Satan :lol:

Actually, you are to be commended on that. To be honest, if the reverb worked, the footswitch had a button for modes and the rectoverb didn't weigh 80 lbs, I'd probably be happy as well.

SabuJSE said:
WOuld this be the wrong thread to say that I am perfectly happy with my LSS and cab and have no intention of changing eitehr for a very long time? :D

It's odd, I have had some amps for just weeks and some for years, but I think this is the list:

Gorilla 25w - first amp
Peavey 50w - 1x12 - solid state - before I knew about tubes
Fender 50W 1x12 - same as above
Marshall jcm 900 100w with 1960 4x12 cab - WOW that changed everything!
Seymour Duncan 100W 1x12
Mesa Boogie Mark II head
Fender Twin - the evil twin with the red knobs
Marshall 3010 2x10 30W
THD Univalve - good learning ground for different tube sounds, but very distracting
Marshall DSL50 - back in the saddle again!
Aiken Intruder 30W head - nirvana for the Marshall sound, but wanted another channel
Fender Blues Junior - OK but very limited
Mesa Lone Star Classic 2x12 combo - currently in the house
Weber Amp kit 5C3 (still in pieces, and just for the experience of building a tube amp)

There are very few I wish I had back, but I sure would appreciate getting back some of the money I wasted!

I usually just trade or sell them. e-bay has made it very easy which is almost a curse.

I am not sure I will ever find the perfect amp, but the LSC gets very close.

jlg

The cab is in, hooked up, and adds a nice level of warmth and of course, overall oomph. Check the last line of my sig for a pic.

As Skull from PvP online says: GLEE! :D

HCAF= Harmony Central Amp Forum....those guys do lots of buying and selling amps! The search for the Holy Grail Tone :D

Nope - stock tubes, and the stock black widow speakers. I would define the tone with the extra cab as warmer and with a nice bit of seperation in sound - more rounded out. Well worth the 390 in cost. All the usual Mesa quality in the cab construction, naturally. :D

And thank you :)

tele_jas said:

Traded for
* 1973 Fender Twin -
then got
Sold that for
* Rocktorn Replitone
Sold the RP200o and got

You know I have always had that problem and I may have just solved it. I got a 2 way switch and use a Twin for Clean and my Boggie for distortion. Switching clean to distortion on one amp with different volume and effects was my problem. I also have a rack 50/50/ amd a V-Twin so I can l pay hard distortion at 15 watts with the low power switch and on one side only. I can get the power tube on 10 distortion at any volume. 2 amps are a hassle but it may be worth it.

I also have 8 guitars. Never trade just add. There is no one guitar for every situation. Amps are a little like that too.

* Genz Benz 2x12
* another Genz benz 2x12
* a Peavey XXX head
for a
I sold the triple rectifier after 6 months for a
* Tremoberb head
* Rectoverb Combo
* a Tremoberb Combo.

I don't have a lot of money, I just sell and buy new-old stuff and I do probably loose a little here and there along the way too.

Am I nuts??

The whole subject here I find really funny cause, I seem to do this aswell. I think I'm a gear junkie though. I can't get enough. Just today I fell in love with a Mark IV (short head)...I want to build a studio seperate from my house to keep all of my loves.

I remember reading this thread when I first joined the forum. Since then TJ has become one of the more vocal proponents of the RoadKing? Has that amp changed your desire to buy more?

As much as I like my LSC, I always wonder if there is another one out there that might be just a little better. I think I probably need to have a two ro three amp setup - a Marshall (with Voodoo mods), a Boogie and a small blues amp like a Fender Champ clone. I can't jutify spending that much for amps.

Latest posts

Back