Whats up with those soldered speaker connections?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plan-x

Reaction score
I got a wild hair.... to try out a different pair speaker in my LSC combo. Those babys are soldered at the terminals with some mighty hefty beads! I ended up frying one of my speakers! :shock: Overheated the voice coil I guess. The other speakers I put in didn't sound as good :? so I took a drive down to Hollywood and shelled out some clams. Thank God they carry a stock of Black Shadows in 8 & 16 ohms :D . Moral of the story....if you ain't got the cash, don't unsolder those speaker terminals. Not to mention I most likely voided my warranty. :(

Sorry to hear your troubles but those soldered connections will give the best transfer of signal to the speakers, and are about as 'road-worthy' and reliable as it gets.

I'm curious, seeing how its a combo (not a cab) why did you go that route? I would have unplugged the speaker and removed it wire and all, and install the new speaker(s) with new wiring, maybe even with quick connects at the speaker.

Dom

Or the real moral of the story is...don't learn how to solder on your good expensive equipment :)

Seriously, it is best to mess with soldering on junky stuff (like maybe an old broken radio or something) rather than tear up something that works fine in the first place and that you want to continue to use.

It might be a good idea to buy the proper equipment if you don't have it either (30 watt soldering iron, heat sink, desoldering wick, desoldering pump, etc).

Greg

I've un/resoldered dozens of speakers with zero problems. I am going to guess that the lead to the voice coil came unsoldered at the terminal on your speaker or the joint is cold. I prefer a higher wattage soldering gun for speakers, you can melt the solder quickly and move on.

Speaker swapping is one of your biggest opportunities for tone improvement, especially with a Mesa. The Black Shadow series are decent speakers but hardly the be all/end all for tone. Exception to this would be some of the older Mark series stuff had a Black Shadow/EVM 12 L in it. Hard to beat that. The new stuff is all relabeled Eminence or Celestion, there is better out there. Good luck. :D

Latest posts

Back