What's the source of the noise in the Express 5:50?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, V4 can really push your tone around. I have tried 5 types of 12AX7 in V4 and in conbination with the other tubes, the long plate JJ works best. A chinese Ruby was good too. As for the 12AY7 I guess there are not as many to choose from. I am currious to try a 5751. SRV was said to use those (probably V1 for his amps) to tame things down.

Nah... Not yet :(

The delivery is due to the reseller at the 29'th. If lucky I will have them next week. :D

A funny thing happened to me last night at a gig. Had the 5:50 out for the first time. First off I've got lots of WOW's from fellow musicians when they saw the amp. Then at the first break I got lots of compliments about how good my tone was from both musicians and audience.

At the middle of the second pass the tone suddenly had changed, it was very thin. I started fiddling with the tone controls but nothing helped. Maxed the bass but still thin... As I did mostly chord-work on the actual tune I don't think anybody noticed, I just rolled down the guitars tone and played softer. As I played along I though; "Rats, it's broken!". It wasn't until between the next song I could get a listen to the sound... VERY thin indeed! And then I recognized the sound... :roll: I have tripped on my wah-pedal just before the song, and it was engaged. :oops: But what a relief!!

For the rest of the gig the tone was back to normal. :D

I've done the whole tripping on the wah thing while playing a show as well. Just when I started to get pissed off I figured it out, lol.

Rats! :evil:

Got a new delivery notice from the reseller of the SPAX7 tubes today. I have to wait a few weeks more...
The funny thing is that they had a good deal on them, but had none in stock. If it weren't for the deal
I would have refused to buy them and get a refund. But as I said; it was a good deal, and the reseller
is a trustworthy one so... Waiting time. Again.

I did paid in advance since it was at an e-shop. The good thing is that they can't raise the price.

Latest posts

Back