What's the difference b/w the Mesa tubes? (415, 430, 440...)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
I've seen different types of Mesa tubes and was wondering what the difference b/w them is. Sorry if this has been covered before!

I'm pretty sure the Mesa site has some tube descriptions.

Wasn't it something like this

415- Awesome,amazing,sweet and top's
420-Really good but short life
430-yeah, ok
440-why the hell did i waste my money i could have got JJ's.

Think that might help..

I would take the 440's over JJ tubes any day of the week.

meursault said:
Rocky said:

In the preamp section the JJ's are pretty good... better than the EH...

Depends on the amp...I have 5 amps and JJ's sound dull in all of them except for one. THe one that sounds OK with JJ's sounds better with reissue Tung Sol tubes.

I think JJ tubes are WAY overhyped.

Rocky said:
meursault said:
Rocky said:

Depends on the amp...I have 5 amps and JJ's sound dull in all of them except for one. THe one that sounds OK with JJ's sounds better with reissue Tung Sol tubes.

matter of taste... tung sol are too high gain for me... clean break up too fast...

what is the amp that sounds ok with JJ's ?

I've used about every preamp tube readily available and, IMO, in amps that are very high gain I like the JJ's the best because they retain more clarity. In amps designed for lower gain tones I prefer the Tung Sol because they seem to add a richer color or texture as the gain is increased. EH comes in second in both applications, but, as a "one tube that does a great job for both applications" the EH would be the pick.

If I had a 2 channel amp that truely had two separate preamps onboard, (the Maverick?), I'd run JJs for the lead channel and Tung Sol in the other.

Rick

meursault said:
Rocky said:
meursault said:

matter of taste... tung sol are too high gain for me... clean break up too fast...

what is the amp that sounds ok with JJ's ?

My Matchless Lightning 15. I get a stronger cleaner tone with the Tung Sols than I do with JJ's. The JJ's have way to much midrange to get the Matchless chiming the way I like.

Rocky said:
My Matchless Lightning 15. I get a stronger cleaner tone with the Tung Sols than I do with JJ's. The JJ's have way to much midrange to get the Matchless chiming the way I like.

maybe i'll try the TS together with the JJ's... JJ in V1-V5 and TS in V2-V3...

i agree with the JJ's midrange... but i kinda like it... and with the grafic EQ i can do anything

Latest posts

Back