Whats the black stuff on transformer

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster Leggs

Reaction score
From time to time I see a photo of of what looks to be a black "tar" like substance on transformers. What is this? Is it from overheating? Is it some form of damage or is it normal? If I bought an amp with this on trans. is it a potential problem or something not to worry about. Please school me on this. THANKS !!!

If I remember correctly, it's an epoxy, and is supposed to be there. Nothing wrong happening. It's not melting, you're seeing the drip marks from when it was applied at the factory.

wikipedia...
Epoxy resin formulations are important in the electronics industry, and are employed in motors, generators, transformers, switchgear, bushings, and insulators. Epoxy resins are excellent electrical insulators and protect electrical components from short circuiting, dust and moisture. In the electronics industry epoxy resins are the primary resin used in overmolding integrated circuits, transistors and hybrid circuits, and making printed circuit boards. The largest volume type of circuit board—an "FR-4 board"—is a sandwich of layers of glass cloth bonded into a composite by an epoxy resin. Epoxy resins are used to bond copper foil to circuit board substrates, and are a component of the solder mask on many circuit boards.
Flexible epoxy resins are used for potting transformers and inductors. By using vacuum impregnation on uncured epoxy, winding-to-winding, winding-to-core, and winding-to-insulator air voids are eliminated. The cured epoxy is an electrical insulator and a much better conductor of heat than air. Transformer and inductor hot spots are greatly reduced, giving the component a stable and longer life than unpotted product.

Thanks for the reply. That seems to make sence, I just don't remember seeing it on any new amps with new transformers. Although it could be I never paid attention when new and I'm looking at the used with a critical eye. If any one has more to add it would help me to be more fair when I price what I do sell. Thanks in advance for any input !!!

Back