Whats better than and Electra dyne?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YellowJacket said:
Birdy said:
Laskyman said:
Looking more at the RA...it really does look like an "advanced" ED...**** YOU BOOGIE FOR STARTING THE G.A.S.!
The last thing I need is to start the "wants" for a new amp......

Y'know Lasky.....I just played my =C= EL34 loaded ED for 1 1/2 hrs with a THD Hotplate
into my greenback loaded cab.
90w setting, total power tube grind happening, vintage low mode.
Ringing, chimey, thick as ya want EL34 goodness !
No neighbours around....volume pretty loud :mrgreen:

I have ZERO GAS for the RA.
If you have access to an attenuator to try for your ED, I think your GAS would dissolve.
Hell, I'll try an RA in the store when they ship, but I'm happy with my amps, big time.

After listening to the Royal Atlantic clips, I checked out the Electra Dyne clips. It is simply better. That amp gives me chills and I wish I had the cash for one right now! I think when I one day acquire one, I'll get it equipped with power scaling so I can control the amount of power tube clip at almost any volume. That would be rad! Having an attenuator and low efficiency speakers helps a lot too, I'll bet!

How is an amp equipped with power scaling?

JOEY B. said:
YellowJacket said:
After listening to the Royal Atlantic clips, I checked out the Electra Dyne clips. It is simply better.

Is "IT" the Royal Atlantic or the Electra Dyne? Clips mean nothing to me, because I'm not the one doing the playing. :wink:

I should have clarified. For me, *IT* is the Electra Dyne. In all fairness, I HAVE demo'd the Dyne but obviously not this new amp.

primal said:
How is an amp equipped with power scaling?

http://www.londonpower.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=7
http://www.londonpower.com/psk-faq.htm

I have tried power scaling built into an Egnater amp that went from 30 watts to 1 watt. Basically, as you turn the 'wattage' down the onset of power tube clip occurs at lower and lower volumes. The perceived volume of the amp really doesn't change much. I got the impression that it is better to set the overall amp level with the master, and then add preamp and power amp gain to taste. You'd end up with three more rotary controls on the back (or front) of your amp chassis, each of which corresponds to the different modes of the amp. I'm also guessing it would be a fairly hefty price tag to get this feature installed. $200 - $300 for sure, considering the kit is $160. An attenuator is something else to look into. Some people swear by power scaling and swear at attenuators, while for others it is the other way around.

YellowJacket said:
http://www.londonpower.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=7
http://www.londonpower.com/psk-faq.htm

I have tried power scaling built into an Egnater amp that went from 30 watts to 1 watt. Basically, as you turn the 'wattage' down the onset of power tube clip occurs at lower and lower volumes. The perceived volume of the amp really doesn't change much. I got the impression that it is better to set the overall amp level with the master, and then add preamp and power amp gain to taste. You'd end up with three more rotary controls on the back (or front) of your amp chassis, each of which corresponds to the different modes of the amp. I'm also guessing it would be a fairly hefty price tag to get this feature installed. $200 - $300 for sure, considering the kit is $160. An attenuator is something else to look into. Some people swear by power scaling and swear at attenuators, while for others it is the other way around.

Cool stuff! Thanks

I have an attenuator that stays hooked up to my ED. I use it pretty much all the time. I can't say it really improves the tone, but does make the volume much more manageable simply because of how quickly the ED gets loud by simply breathing on the master.

I would advise against buying an attenuator if you are hoping you are going to get massive power amp distortion at bedroom levels. Using that much attenuation definately will color the tone. Plus, if you have the 1x12 combo, the C-90 speaker definately needs to push some air before it hits it's sweet spot.

I use my attenuator as a load box, use the lineout from my ED and go into my axe FX. There I have a patch setup with only a speaker cab. I use the redwirez impulse responses. Sound pretty cool.

Doing that I will set the Volume knob (gain for those not familiar with the ED) to 9:00, then take the Master to 3:00. Almost all the distortion at that point is power tube saturation. I have been very happy with the results. Sure, an isolation room with a bunch of 4x12, a few thousand dollar tube preamp and the ability to crank the ED to 3:00 might be better. But since that is completely impossible, I'll go with this.

Would love to hear the difference that power scaling makes.

primal said:
Cool stuff! Thanks

I have an attenuator that stays hooked up to my ED. I use it pretty much all the time. I can't say it really improves the tone, but does make the volume much more manageable simply because of how quickly the ED gets loud by simply breathing on the master.

I would advise against buying an attenuator if you are hoping you are going to get massive power amp distortion at bedroom levels. Using that much attenuation definately will color the tone. Plus, if you have the 1x12 combo, the C-90 speaker definately needs to push some air before it hits it's sweet spot.

=-( I sadly don't have an ED yet. **cries** But ya, I definitely WANT one. My brother found the c90 was a very 'constipated' speaker at low volumes so he replaced his with a G12H Heritage for his Lonestar Special. Of course, that amp only goes up to 30watts anyway. For the 'Dyne, I think the best speaker configuration has to be Birdy's Greenback Marshall, at least for crunch type tones.

I use my attenuator as a load box, use the lineout from my ED and go into my axe FX. There I have a patch setup with only a speaker cab. I use the redwirez impulse responses. Sound pretty cool.

Doing that I will set the Volume knob (gain for those not familiar with the ED) to 9:00, then take the Master to 3:00. Almost all the distortion at that point is power tube saturation. I have been very happy with the results. Sure, an isolation room with a bunch of 4x12, a few thousand dollar tube preamp and the ability to crank the ED to 3:00 might be better. But since that is completely impossible, I'll go with this.

Would love to hear the difference that power scaling makes.

Well, there is a clip of the Bugera Trirec using power scaling. You hear the guy demoing it getting a blues clip using power scaling. If you like running the power section that hot, definitely give some power scaling amps a try and see if it tickles your fancy. The London Power kids go from 100watts down to 0.01 watts so you should be able to overdrive your power section at almost any volume.

Laskyman said:
Looking more at the RA...it really does look like an "advanced" ED...**** YOU BOOGIE FOR STARTING THE G.A.S.!
The last thing I need is to start the "wants" for a new amp......

Man, I guess I have not been paying attention much.

I just saw it now and some of the clips.

I will have to try one out but ****. Built in power scaling? Wow

You know, for the cost of selling a used electra dyne and buying a new Royal Atlantic, you might as well buy the $160 kit from London Power and have it installed. You'll pay less $$$s in the end.

I agree with most other of you guys out there... 2 Dynes is better than 1.
But, i would not be surprised to see an "Electradyne Solo" head and combo.
That would deffinately be the next one for me.
Had my ED for 1 month and loving it too bits!!!!

For me, anything I can get to sound great without having to wear earplugs. That right now is a Mark V at 10 watts.

Latest posts

Back