Whatcha guys think?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpepiman

Reaction score
Hey guys,

If the Mesa Mark IIC+ amp is so highly sought after and famous, then why doesn't Mesa put out a reissue? It seems like a good idea because I'm sure alot of people would buy it. They could charge less than the original go for, and then the reissues would be cheaper, while the originals would still be more $$ and still be sought after.

What do you guys think?

-Alan

Well, im sure it would sell well, But it might bite into mark IV sales, as the IV is suppsoed to be everything the II was, and more. I could see a 2 channel, reverb, and EQ II becoming a big problem for IV sales.

Howitzer said:
Well, im sure it would sell well, But it might bite into mark IV sales, as the IV is suppsoed to be everything the II was, and more. I could see a 2 channel, reverb, and EQ II becoming a big problem for IV sales.

Probably a fair bit of truth to that.

I wonder what the Mark V will bring to the table.

brianf

alpepiman said:
Hey guys,

If the Mesa Mark IIC+ amp is so highly sought after and famous, then why doesn't Mesa put out a reissue? It seems like a good idea because I'm sure alot of people would buy it. They could charge less than the original go for, and then the reissues would be cheaper, while the originals would still be more $$ and still be sought after.

What do you guys think?

-Alan

They already do, it's called a MkIV.

Anyway, they can't re-issue the MkIIC+ because they can't get those transformers anymore, and if they did make one it would sound more or less like the current MkIV.

Yeah, sounds like a cool idea. Coming from a Fender background, I always like the Mark I, IIs.

The Mark III and IV were going for a more modern sound, higher distortion saturation, less Fenderish. Not necessarily a bad thing since Boogie was going for their own sound but ...

I would like added features like rectifier switch between diode and tubes and a "sponge / bold" switch, have your option of lowering the internal voltage.

My friend had a Mark III. He said he could get a great lead tone (lead channel) but at the expense of rhythmn channel's setting and visa versa.

But he notice with my Mark II I could get both channel sounding great.

Why can't they get the transformers? Did the original manufacturer shut down?

I'm sure they could get transformers made to what ever specs they want.

While a re-issue of the C+ would give more people access to the fabulous tone, it would drive the prices of the originals that much higher.

Plus, the EVM 12L is no longer made(which is a BIG part of the tone). I hear that EV is re-issuing the 12L, but the EV company has changed ownership MANY times sinces the '80s. The company is more about the name making money than the company making sound.

So does that mean, if you put the EVM 12L in a Mark IV, it would get closer to that tone? Because there are some on ebay.

Also did Metallica use the IIC+ on the entire M.O.P. album, or just the Master of Puppets track? I really like the lead tones on the whole album, they're very smooth.

Mahoner said:
I'm sure they could get transformers made to what ever specs they want.

They probably could, but do they have the purchasing power to cause a company to spend the money to reverse engineer an old transformer and create an identical one for them? I think the transformers would wind up costing more than they're worth.

alpepiman said:
So does that mean, if you put the EVM 12L in a Mark IV, it would get closer to that tone? Because there are some on ebay.

Also did Metallica use the IIC+ on the entire M.O.P. album, or just the Master of Puppets track? I really like the lead tones on the whole album, they're very smooth.

Both Kirk and James used the same amp over the whole album. Kirk boosted it with a TS-9 for more sustain.

on MOP they used the Slave Out of the Mark II C+ to feed a Marshall JCM800 through the input of the amp (i don't know if it's high or low, but on the horizontal input models they used the jack on the right side) and marshall cabs. both james and kirk used a parametric EQ as well (probably in the mark II C+'s fx loop).

further info can be found here:
www.montyjay.com/metgearmain.html

+Mike+

Latest posts

Back