What would you choose - Rectifier 2x12 or 2 1x12 3/4 cabs ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

58boogie

Reaction score
I have a solo rectifier and and a stiletto head that I am running through a set of 1 x 12 cabinets (3/4 series) with black shadows.

Anyone have experience with a 2x12 rectifier cabinet with v30's compared to the 1x12 3/4 back cabinet?

Which sounds fuller with a lower bottom?

Recto 2x12 all the way. Road King 2x12 is also supposed to be a good mix with open C90 and closed V30, though I've never tried one.

I have owned recto 1x12, recto 2x12 vert and horiz, 3/4 1x12, and 4x10. To me:

The recto 1x12 is cutting and tight, but lacks low end punch.
The 3x4 sounds really low-end heavy, and doesn't have any bite or presence, kind of muddy
The 4x10 has a good even frequency response from low end to high end, but can sound a little tame
The Recto 2x12 has lots of low-end thump, and a good mid bite, and is the most lively sounding one. The horizontal on the floor is more low-end heavy, mostly because it aims at my feet. The vert has more audible mid content, as it is aimed up.

I tend to use the 2x12, unless the bite is too much for what I'm playing. I'll switch to the 4x10 to tame it if I need to.

I am running my Dual Rec through 2 Splawn Creamback loaded cabs and it sounds massive. I know V30's seem to be a favorite with Recto users but these Creabacks, which are a 65 watt Greenback, sound really nice.

If you're dead set on using a Mesa cab, I'd do the V30 loaded recto cab.

I have owned the Recto 2x12 as well as the widebody 3/4 back 1x12 and preferred the Recto cab.

What about a low (bedroom) volume. which cab has a deeper sound 2x12 recto or 3/4 back ?

Latest posts

Back