What version of the Tremoverb do I have?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Tremoverb head with Chrome knobs.

I have seen them with Black, Chrome, and Black with a pointer. I figured that this might help in figuring out when it was made.

The serial # is: R-013958

I can get just about any tone that I want out of it. I play mainly Strats, and the Clean tone is very strong and unique. It doesn't try to sound like a Fender or Marshall, it has a very distinct personality.

The Lead channel is very versatile. I like the Blues setting the best, but it is much louder than the Modern or Vintage setting.

In comparison with my Roadster, I think the Tremoverb has less versatillity, but it definitely stands up to the Roadster and and flicks a booger at it.

I plan on selling the Roadster and keeping the Tremoverb because it's much more simple to set up. I have a G-Major and 10 other amps if I want different tones.

I can get just about any tone that I want out of it. I play mainly Strats, and the Clean tone is very strong and unique. It doesn't try to sound like a Fender or Marshall, it has a very distinct personality.

The Lead channel is very versatile. I like the Blues setting the best, but it is much louder than the Modern or Vintage setting.

In comparison with my Roadster, I think the Tremoverb has less versatillity, but it definitely stands up to the Roadster and and flicks a booger at it.

I plan on selling the Roadster and keeping the Tremoverb because it's much more simple to set up. I have a G-Major and 10 other amps if I want different tones.

Allow me to chime in.

It's hard to tell just from the knobs, as they can always be changed. If it's original, I'd say mid-90's.

I have a few TOV's. My favorite in the Mesa Line for sure.

As for the TONE question.

I personally think they can get heavier than a Dual, and Cleaner than a Single.

I like them a LOT.

Deja Vu???

I've found a minty TOV combo for $1K shipped/insured. Would you say that is a good deal? My only concern would be the weight, but it does have the side handles which might make it easier to manage. I heard a clip on TGP that showcased the clean and blues modes, and they both sound yummy!

Thanks Lance, I got it from the original owner, but it was a demo model that he bought at the Dallas Guitar Show. He never changed the knobs, but can't remember what year he got it.

I was wondering if it was one of the original ones, or if it was a reissue? I read somewhere that they were discontinued for while and then there was a reissue run of them.

$1,000 for the combo, shipped to your door is probably a great price. I've been watching them on Ebay for a while now because I like combos more than heads. They seem to go anywhere from $800 to $1,200 depending on who is looking for one at the time and what condition it is in.

It probably weighs about what the Roadking combo does, 98 pounds.

I have a TOV combo.

It IS a heavy somm-biatch... But it's worth it for the TONE!!!!! :wink:

And the price sounds good. Check on age of tubes, condition of speakers ;etc....

If everything's solid, you're golden.

Nah, I'm pretty sure there was only one version but the only thing different were the pointed knobs. I think those were from later years. My 1994 had round ones and the early ones I've seen have had the same.

If you pull the chassis, the date(s) should be written inside and your board should read RR-1E

I have a TOV head from 1995 #R-005021. The gril is the "Gold" (Black and tan weave). The AC power cord is hardwired and it has the Ground Polarity switch. Monsta-Tone, with your serial number, I would say you have one from the late 90's. The later ones came stock with a black grill, modular AC power cord and no ground polarity switch.

There's only really one version of the TOV, but the first 500-1000 (or so) ever built had a serial FX loop instead of a parallel loop. You can tell by looking at the FX section on the back, if it has one knob then it's a 94 with a serial loop and if it has two knobs then it's a late 94 on up to the end of production with a parallel FX loop.

I had both styles and I liked the serial loop better and had my parallel loop one modded to serial.

Aside from the differences listed above (in my post and others) my 94 combo had the black grill with white piping around the grill it didn't have any fake leather tolex, it was REAL leather that covered that amp..... which I hated, it showed every little rub and ding pretty bad and it was pulling away from the wood and bubbling up in places.

If you pull the chassis, the date(s) should be written inside and your board should read RR-1E

:D Believe it or not, this is the only amp I own that I haven't looked in yet. I better get busy. :D

Definitely have the modular AC plug.

I had both styles and I liked the serial loop better and had my parallel loop one modded to serial.

Was there any bleed through when the Mix knob was at 100%? According to the drawings, there should be none, but in real life, things happen.

and it was pulling away from the wood and bubbling up in places

The tolex is doing this on my head. It is hard and makes a crackling noise when I push on the bubbles though. I was thinking that a damp towel and an iron would reactivate the glue. This works really well on most tolex, but Mesa uses Hide Glue which is another animal entirely. It reactivates very easily. I think it would work if the tolex isn't what is making the crackling noises. If the glue is making the noise, it should be relatively simple.

There's only really one version of the TOV, but the first 500-1000

Does anybody know what serial # these started with? Since mine has an R at the beginning, I am sort of assuming that they used the same serial #'s as the Rectifiers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2000-MESSA-BOOGIE-DUEL-RECTIFIER-TREM-O-VERB_W0QQitemZ170081755418QQihZ007QQcategoryZ43374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This guy says that his is a 2000 model, but his serial # is lower than mine. Now I'm thoroughly confused. My friend that I got my Tremoverb from says that he got it in the 90's.

:lol: Just when I thought I knew it all... :lol:

mine was parallel:
8.jpg

10.jpg

Back