What Tubes should I get for my 2:One Hundred power amp??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renzo1p

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!!

I have a Stereo Rectifier 2:One hundred that I use with an Engl E30 preamp. I noticed my power amp has an adjustable bias switch for EL34s or 6L6s.

I play progressive metal and I'm goign after a Metallica/Petrucci type of sound (with a good tight bottom end).

What type of Tubes work best??

Also, how do you suggest I run the presence and volume knobs to achieve this sound?

Thank you!! :D

PS: Im using the Modern mode.

I can't really speak to what types of tubes might be good for metal tones- but i've liked using JJ tubes in my mesas, and mesa says that 6l6's are more reliable tubes than the el34s...

I bought my 2:100 used with JJ EL34s in it. The preamp too. Maybe they are dead, but doesn't sound as good as Mesa rebranded 6L6s to my ear. The 6L6s just feel bigger.

On the other hand, maybe it's the JJ thing I didn't dig.

Well, I used to own a Peavey 5150II that came with JJ preamp tubes and Ruby 6L6's, which I found to be a little bright and thin for my taste. I replaced with JJ 6L6 GC's and I was really happy with the sound.

I just wanna know if there any of you who already use them and how you like them because I'm planning on buying 8 of them for my 2:100 but wanna know if it's worth spending my money on them.

Do you think it will make my sound a little darker/thinker like it did on my Peavey?

Thank you!!

Latest posts

Back