what tones from a 50 Calibur+?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
I might have an opportunity to pick up a 50 Cal+, but I was wondering what type of tones it is best for. Metal? Hard rock? Classic rock? Blues? Jazz? Country? BLUEGRASS?! Haha. I have no idea as you can tell. Some sound clips might be helpful as well! Thanks...

Adam

Depending on how you dial up the settings. I've heard great reviews for all styles.

http://www.manualnguide.com/dl/3454/

check out the manual

Maybe someone else can chime in but my friend, who plays mostly blues, has a plethora of amps and his go-to amp is his .50 caliber + combo 1x12. Figure too though, if you need to push a lot of air through your speakers you'll need to consider a more powerful rig, or mic into a good PA.

It'll do all the styles you inquired about, I think it excels at metal, I've owned mine since 1991 and it's a metal machine on the lead channel, in fact my clean channel sounds like Angus Youngs dirty tone.

Cool! I won't be using it for gigs really. If I get it, i'll be using it along with a thiele cab for dragging to jam sessions with friends. Me and a buddy like to just play with 2 guitars and a drum machine sometimes. I hate having to lug my Roadster head around when I don't need a ton of volume! I've been wanting a short head again for a while and a guy locally has a 50 cal+ so I wanted to make sure it was not a one trick pony and make sure if it was it wasn't something I wasn't into...

Still think some sound clips would be cool to check out! I'll run through the manual and see what it's all about as well...

I dunno if you're into him but Pepper Keenan from Down and CoC uses a .50cal+. Check out Stone the Crow if you want to hear a .50Cal+ go from very mild break up to pretty heavy stuff all in one song.

Thanks guys. As it turns out, the guy locally that has one is wanting WAY too much for his 50cal. He wants $650 for it! I know the previous owner of the amp and he said the tubes WERE new when he sold it to the guy 2 years ago and he has not replaced them since then and wants MORE than he paid then! I told them they are on ebay MINT for like $450 all day long but he claims ebay is unrealistic prices. I walked, needless to say...

I got mine for 550 shipped. Best gear investment Ive made. To me, its definitely geared towards metal, im sure you could get some other styles out of it though. Its Master of Puppets, thick razor sharp tone. Id definitely get one if you can work the price down a bit.

Back