What To Do

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ESP1986PRS

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I'll Be Getting My Dual Rectifier In A Couple Week's I Payed It Off Today But They Have To Wait For Mesa/Boogie To Build My Dual And 2x12 Cabinet, But My Real Question is I Played The Dual Awhile A Go With 6L6's and EL34's Mesa Brand Tubes and I Like The EL34's Better But Everyone Here Say's JJ's E34L's ReTube Package are Better and Only Thing I Worrie About Is if They'll Cause A Deft On My Amp or Something I Worrie Because as We All Know You Void Your Warrenty and I Don't Want My Amp To Be In Service When I Get It. Also I Like Being Able To Switch From Rectifer and Soild State Should I Also Pick Up the GZ34's.
Your Thoughts Would Be Nice.

I personally would'nt worry about tubes at this point, theres alot of varibles that go into one's tone, and tubes are just one of them. Just play the amp, dial in your tones, and enjoy it! When it's time to re-tube then you can look to other options. I mean, you don't even have the amp and your already looking to change it, just be patient, wait for it to arrive, then rock out!

The Only Reason I Want to Know About The Rectifier Tube's is Because I Like Be Able to Switch To Rectifer instead of Soild State I Just Want To Know if There Any Good. And The Other Reason I'm Looking For Tube's Is Because I want To Back Up's But Mesa Tube's Are Little To Much. :)

When it's time to re-tube then you can look to other options.

Good advice jbird. I only looked into retubing my amp, because it really needed retubing. I had bought mine used and it had a mixed bunch of tubes in it that made it sound like pooh. I'm happy to have found the JJ's at Eurotubes, but I probably wouldn't have done it, if the amp was brand new. It's good to see if you can find your sound with the amp right out of the box. Give it a little time to settle in.

I had a set of JJ E34L's in my Marshall TSL122. They were the darkest most lifeless set of tubes I ever had in that amp. Considering Mesa are darker amps than Marshalls be carefull. Unles you want a dark sound try some EH, or Svet Winged C. Also the EH 6CA7 are nice.

When I pulled the E34L's out of the Marshall it was as if a heavy blanket came of it. I tried the bias all over too. Even the JJ EL34's seemed very dark and dull.

Just my 2 cents. If you check out the Marshall forum you will find many Mesa and Marshall users with the same comments.

brianf

No real offense, but that is quite possibly the hardest collection of words masquerading as coherent though I've ever run across. I have no idea what you were trying to say.

Having said that, I like the EL34s better and switched within a week of getting my Solo 50.

jbird said:
I personally would'nt worry about tubes at this point, theres alot of varibles that go into one's tone, and tubes are just one of them. Just play the amp, dial in your tones, and enjoy it! When it's time to re-tube then you can look to other options. I mean, you don't even have the amp and your already looking to change it, just be patient, wait for it to arrive, then rock out!

jbird said:
...and tubes are just one of them. Just play the amp, dial in your tones, and enjoy it! When it's time to re-tube then you can look to other options.

+1
While the JJ's are great in most Mesas IMO, the stock tubes dont suck by any means. Tweak the amp to your liking first, see what it's capable of. Once you have it all dialed in, then start the fine-tuning.

Yes the GZ34/5AR4 kicks major ***...depending how loud you play. At lower vol's the difference is not so readily apparent, but hey its a recto so jam that baby up!

I Really Like The Way Mesa Tubes Sound Like I Said, I Tried The Dual With Mesa's EL34 and 6L6's, I Do Like The 6L6's It Just Sound's A Little Bit Better With The EL34's to Me it Does But That's Why I'm Asking You Guy's I Most Likey Will Stay With Mesa Tubes, So Thanks For Everyone's Advice

Latest posts

Back