What to do with my cabinet

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmb

Reaction score
I use a mesa/boogie mark III blue stripe coliseum head. I play in a metalcore band, but play rock too.
For the moment I play it through my peavey 5150-cabinet. But I want to upgrade the last piece in my signal chain. I have two option I guess. I can keep the cabinet and change the speakers or I can buy a new cabinet.

When I think about buying a new cabinet, I think about a bogner cab or a recto cab or something. Anyway some 4*12 closed back cab

Recently I informed myself about putting other speakers. V30's C90's and EV speakers seamed to go well with mark series and metalmusic.
So I was thinking about making the combination between two types of speakers and putting them instead of the sheffields that are in my cab now

Can you guys give me suggestions about what to do. Should I buy another cabinet or should I change the speakers in my cab.

I use a Series 300 IIB with a 4x12 Trad. Slant Recto and it is awesome for anything you want to throw out there. I have 2 EVMS in the bottom and 2 MS12 150 Watts in the top. The latter are the old Black Shadow Boogie Speakers from the early 1980's. The ones with the ribbed cones are best. THey were made by Eminecne.

BWK

different cabs with the same speakers' configuration sounds different. Many tried putting V30 in their Marshall 4x12 cabinets, but they couldn't get very close to the mesa 4x12 with V30 (i'm not saying which is better 8) )... so some people started saying celestion produced V30 speakers with thicker paper appositely for mesa! but the reason is that the cabinet design is different.

The EV's seem to be great, but they are so terribly expensive.
Can someone explain the differences between C90's V30's and Ev's in words
How do you think the combination of two C90's and two V30's would sound
in my 5150 cabinet
Thanks dudes

Sorry to disaprove you Ytse Jam, but i've readed somewhere on the Web (i think it's about the Road King I test in Guitar World Magazine) that Randall Smith have himself asked to Celestion to produce their Vintage 30's with some minor differences in construction technique for Mesa Boogie.
Both speakers have the same paper for the cone but the differences are in the magnet and the material used in it... and the glue too, i'm not sure about this last...
The result is a specialy voiced V30's for Mesa, very near sounding to the standard V30's production but a little more Bassy and Vintage sounding.
I will search the article on the Web and i'll try to post the link.

Antoine said:
Sorry to disaprove you Ytse Jam, but i've readed somewhere on the Web (i think it's about the Road King I test in Guitar World Magazine) that Randall Smith have himself asked to Celestion to produce their Vintage 30's with some minor differences in construction technique for Mesa Boogie.
Both speakers have the same paper for the cone but the differences are in the magnet and the material used in it... and the glue too, i'm not sure about this last...
The result is a specialy voiced V30's for Mesa, very near sounding to the standard V30's production but a little more Bassy and Vintage sounding.
hi antoine, sorry i didn't know... i thought they were only suppositions! yes, if you find the article i'll appreciate if you post the link!thanks

pmb said:
I use a mesa/boogie mark III blue stripe coliseum head. I play in a metalcore band, but play rock too.
For the moment I play it through my peavey 5150-cabinet. But I want to upgrade the last piece in my signal chain. I have two option I guess. I can keep the cabinet and change the speakers or I can buy a new cabinet.

When I think about buying a new cabinet, I think about a bogner cab or a recto cab or something. Anyway some 4*12 closed back cab

Recently I informed myself about putting other speakers. V30's C90's and EV speakers seamed to go well with mark series and metalmusic.
So I was thinking about making the combination between two types of speakers and putting them instead of the sheffields that are in my cab now

Can you guys give me suggestions about what to do. Should I buy another cabinet or should I change the speakers in my cab.

I have the mesa 4X12 traditional slant (now called the stiletto cab) . Its the best thing I ever did for my rig .

I was looking on the site of eminence, I heard they have pretty good speakers too. Which ones of eminence would be good for my amp and cab. When I looked at the descriptions they gave (and musical styles that go well with speakers), the black powder, blue thick hound, manowar and red ryder seemed to be the best ones for me
Have you guys got experience with these speakers

Antoine said:
I know when Guitar Player Magazine was reviewing MESA's Stiletto (I think) there was an article off to the side Doug West discussing the difference between MESA's England manufactured Vintage 30s to those standard Vintage 30s build in China.

My favorite all around speakers for my Colesiom 300 Series are Fanes Crescendos. But for some reason, they don't sound as good with my Trem-o-Verb. :?

MarkIIB_300Series.jpg

Here's the link to the article, read at the bottom of the page "Mesa/Boogie Rectifier Traditional Slant 4x12" :

http://www.guitarplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=6&storycode=8714

[/quote]My memory is still sharp, :D
... now if I could fix my hearing loss. :?[/quote]

Play your Coliseum Head quieter :wink:

pmb said:
I was looking on the site of eminence, I heard they have pretty good speakers too. Which ones of eminence would be good for my amp and cab. When I looked at the descriptions they gave (and musical styles that go well with speakers), the black powder, blue thick hound, manowar and red ryder seemed to be the best ones for me
Have you guys got experience with these speakers
Can someone please help me with my question :( :(

Antoine said:
Here's the link to the article, read at the bottom of the page "Mesa/Boogie Rectifier Traditional Slant 4x12" :

http://www.guitarplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=6&storycode=8714
thanks antoine

Check out the Eminence Delta Pro 12A speaker for a high power, EV-ish type tone.
I have tried these side by side in thiele cabs with EV's. They seem to have just a little less treble, but that might be what you want.

Thank you very much
I was looking on the internet to buy those speakers and found these two
http://www.thomann.de/thoiw7_eminence_delta_12_prodinfo.html
http://www.thomann.de/thoiw7_eminence_delta_pro_12_tieftoener_prodinfo.html
Is there a big difference between the two.
Now I'm thinking of buying two of these speakers, to get the EV-thing.
Would it be good to put those together with two C90's for good tone, or would it be better to choose for the V30's.
I was also looking at the mesa/boogie site to buy C90's or V30's because there seems to be a difference with the C80's and V30's you buy directly from celestion. The thing is I live in Europe and if I buy speakers in America I'm afraid I will loose a lot of money on taxes.
Has anyone got an idea if I can buy those mesa speakers in Europe, or is that difference to those from celestion very small and not worth it

Back