what string gauge and tuning do you use?!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Botch

Reaction score
I'm curious!

I'm currently using D'Addario 12-52's in drop C.

What about you guys?! If you could say what genre you play the most with these strings/tunings that would also be great.

METALLLLLL!!!!!!
i use ernie ball 11-54 beefy slinkys in drop C. a bit tight on the lower 4 strings, but i like it. i just went from super slinky 9-42 in E standard. the lower strings are fine, but there is definitely more tension on the treble strings. helps strengthen the fingers

Fender Strat (i play from folkrock to hardrock with it): standard E tuning, Ernieball .010-.046
Another guitar I have got is an old Cimar (by Ibanez) and I play Metal with it. Since it has got some problems to stay tuned, it needs a higher string tension, so I used to use .013 .017 .026 .036 .046 .60 when I had it tuned in drop C. Now I've got .011-.052 in drop D (used these strings also for standard tuning once, but bendings are a pain!).

Dean Markley Blue Steels, 10-46 (E std, 1/2 step down, droppped D), 11-52** (Dropped D, Dropped C), GHS-ZW Boomers 13-70's (Dropped C, Dropped B, B-std.) , and Just tried out a set of Ernie Ball Slinky's that are 11-54 (Dropped C). I don't really like the 3rd string though, it's plain, but almost feels too thick. Will probably go back to the dean's next string change.

**Preferred String Gauge for both Dropped D and Dropped C ( Dropped d on a 24 3/4'' scale and dropped C on a 25 1/2'' scale)

-AJH

I've played almost my entire life with Ernie Ball .010's (in standard tuning) and then switched to 1/2 down tuning...I loved the sound of Ernie Balls when they're new, buy they get old very quick and die out tone wise...That's my biggest beef with them...I've since moved on to D'Addario .011's (again, 1/2 step down tuning)...Not sure about them right now...I need more time with them...I also use Curt Mangan .010's...They don't start off as bright as other brands but they hold their tone way longer and their durability is amazing!...I play in two bands, one plays a mixture of modern metal, progressive metal and punk (Lies, Inc.) and the other plays nothing but Hair metal (Hair Force One)...Just my 2 cents...

Dax, check out the Dean Marley Blue Steels, to me they seem to last a little longer than standard strings. I like them a lot, and they're not really that much more expensive than others.

-AJH

I use 10-46 or 10-52 typically in fixed bridge, 9-42 or 9-46 on trem guitars. All tuned somewhere between standard to 1 step down.

D'Addario 10-46 in my 25.5's and 11's in my 25.1or 24.75, and 13 flat wound D'Addario Chromes in my jazz box

D'Addario's have never let me down, but the Thomastik's work pretty good too, but hard to find locally.

ursinus said:
D'Addario 10-46 in my 25.5's and 11's in my 25.1or 24.75, and 13 flat wound D'Addario Chromes in my jazz box

D'Addario's have never let me down, but the Thomastik's work pretty good too, but hard to find locally.

oops, I forgot to mention that I use standard EADGBE tuning on all my gits....

Markley for me but I have used Boomers and the Slinky's among many others including prototypes.

MesaENGR412 said:
Dax, check out the Dean Marley Blue Steels, to me they seem to last a little longer than standard strings. I like them a lot, and they're not really that much more expensive than others.

-AJH

...Thanx man...An old friend of mine, who I don't see anymore, uses those strings...He swore by them too...I'm open to anything, where I wasn't before, so I'll give them a try.

.09 gauge for Rg1570, rg570, and 770- normal or just eb

.10 gauge for Les Paul and V(and sometimes ltd ex-400), normal or drop db

.11 for schecter(sometimes .12) drop c

all are ddarrios

I used to use Ernie ball 10-52's, they just felt stiff and didn't have much springy/stretchyness to them, now I use GHS 11-70 boomers, they stretch more than the ernie's and have a MUCH fatter sound to them.
Plus if I get wound up I am a little rough on the strings :p, they just laugh at me.

I 'm trying Thomastic-Infeld round wound Blues Sliders .010 to .048 on my LP (P90) pups

I presently use Gibson Round Wound L-5's .011 - .050 on my Ibanez PM-120 <-not just for jazz-cat's

The Fender use GHS "Rene Martinez" Big Core .095 to .048

I consider myself lucky to have these fine instruments :)

Dean Markley LTHB's pretty much exclusively.
62 Fender Jaguar is tuned to drop D
My Ibanez is tuned to open C
ANd my Grestch changes daily lol.

Hum

Latest posts

Back