what string gauge and tuning do you use?!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guitar is tuned to drop B and I use Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkys: 12, 16, 24p, 32, 44 ,56.
To be honest I'm not too keen on them, but that's what was put on when the guitar was set up and I don't want to change and have intonation issues. The gauge is about right but I don't like the feel of Ernie Ball strings, they don't quite feel right, and like another poster said they lose their 'new' feeling to quickly.
I'm a bigger fan of D'Addario and Dean Markley Blue Steel, they're both very good.

My main string of choice is the DR "Pure Blues" .10-.46. They have a great feel to them and the sound stays bright for an incredibly long time. The DRs last longer than any other string I've used.

I also have two of my guitars set up with DR High Voltage .10-.52. The heavier gauge works well for tunings such as C#, C, and B. It helps compensate for the loss of string tension from tuning that low. I can set my action nice and low without getting a lot of fret buzz.

The rest of my guitars are set up with the .10-.46 "Pure Blues" and tuned to E, Eb, or D.

Pretty much just S.I.T. .010-.046, tuned to standard. I play rock/hard rock/whatever you want to call it.

I sometimes use D'Addario .010-.046 but I try to use the S.I.T.'s because if they're good enough for Don Grosh to put on his guitars, they're probably more than good enough for me.

On all my electrics I have always used DR tight wound 10's.
When I first started playing I used various kinds and nothing seemed to keep their tension better and lasted longer than the DR's.
And I only use Elixor 12's poly web strings on my acoustic. You would be hard pressed to find a better sounding and longer lasting string for acoustics than these. You need to try these if you havent. They are totally worth the extra dollars spent. Top of the line.

stadidas said:
My guitar is tuned to drop B and I use Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkys: 12, 16, 24p, 32, 44 ,56.
To be honest I'm not too keen on them, but that's what was put on when the guitar was set up and I don't want to change and have intonation issues. The gauge is about right but I don't like the feel of Ernie Ball strings, they don't quite feel right, and like another poster said they lose their 'new' feeling to quickly.
I'm a bigger fan of D'Addario and Dean Markley Blue Steel, they're both very good.

Stadidas - setting intonation isn't a difficult task. There are lots of books and free internet resources that can you tell you how to dial in your intonation. So ditch the Ernie Balls if you don't like them and use a string that you do like.

If you switch string gauges and are worried about your guitar's set-up, have someone do that work for you if you aren't comfortable learning to do that yourself.

Life's too short to be stuck with strings that you don't like.

G&L Rampage: Down a full step w/ DR 10-46
Ibanez RG550: Down a half step w/ DR 9-42
Dean Hardtail: Standard w/ DR 10-52

ive just moved up to a set of 11-58's on a Schecter C-7 hellraiser. me likey!!

depends on the guitar. some get 9-46 others get 10-46 and others get 11-49

I tune in regualr A 440 most of the time but like open tunings now and then

ernie ball super slinkies on all 4 of my guitars

aria stg strat clone - e std
schecter omen 6 - std 1/2 step down, or drop d 1/2 step down
schecter c1-e/a semi-hollow - same as other schecter
bc rich nj kkv - drop-c

Latest posts

Back