What speaker is your 1x12 combo loaded with?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danyeo1

Reaction score
My IIC+ is loaded with an EV. I've been reading about Thiele cabs and notice a lot of people like to use an EV loaded Thiele with a combo running the MC90. If I grabbed a Thiele with an EV I'm not sure if I should leave the EV in my combo or swap it out for an MC90?

1x12's are wierd, even a IIC+. Sometimes I think it sounds great, other times.....egh. I guess it's the nature of a 1x12 open back combo. I often run with IIC+ into my Electra Dyne 2x12 combo and use the Dyne as a cab and the bottom end that the Dyne cab has is really noticeable. I've owned Thiele's in the past but it's been years, I kinda forgot how they sound in person.

Both my Mark IV (non-A/non-B) and the matching Thiele cabinet underneath it are loaded with EV speakers, and it all sounds fabulous!

Yes, just the combo by itself is problematical. It can sound great, if it's in the right place in the room. If it's not in it's "spot", it gets thin and barky fast. It has to be on the floor, positioned parallel to the wall, as close to the wall as possible to sound good. Oddly enough, once you put it on top of the Thiele, you can put it anywhere and it sounds good.

It all depends on what you are going for in terms of tone . I personally don't like the EV in my MKIII 1X12 by itself, I find it thin sounding and lacking in the warm mid range. I prefer the MC90 from my MK IV 1X12, it's warmer and punchier. This goes for any of the Mark series amps I run through either open back 1X12 (IIC+, III, IV, or V).

I have a Mark vert 2X12 with a MC90 in the top open part and a EV in the closed back bottom part. Although the bottom is vented and technically not a Thiele, it does improve the overall warmth of the EV. My favorite is and always will be a closed back 2X12 or 4X12 V30 loaded cab (I know you were not asking about the V30), it just feels and sounds right... for my taste anyways.

If you don't have access to a C90, see if you can rent a 1X12 open back C90 loaded boogie cab and run your IIC+ with that cab and your Thiele. This way you will know if it's worth swapping the speaker from your combo.

Good Luck

squreg said:
I personally don't like the EV in my MKIII 1X12 by itself, I find it thin sounding and lacking in the warm mid range.

Same here. I found it flat and boring. Never did try it in a thiele cab. Eventually sold the Mark III combo it was mounted in.

My Mark V is a head but I have both the Widebody open back and front ported 1x12s. They're kind of thin in person but they sound great with a band. I bought them for portability but truthfully they're nowhere near as good sounding as the Recto 2x12 I usually use it with.

IMO, Mesa should make the ED's 1x12 combo shell the standard. It has none of the boxiness I associate with the smaller 1x12s (including the Widebodys), so it's nowhere near as frustrating to dial in.

I have Eminence Black Shadow MS-12 in my Mark IIb. Eminence Red White & Blues in 1x12" external cabinet. MS-12 works great for me although I don't have much to compare it with.

Eminence V12 Legend in the combo, Peavey scorpion in the homebrew thiele...

I agree that the EV in a combo can sound thin. I have also had some Ev's in 1x12's that sounded great. I think it depends if it is well broken in. I would
suspect that a lot of them are not due to the power needed to really drive them to get the cone moving.
I like the Eminence MS-12 in the combo sitting on top of a Thiele with an EVM12L.

squreg said:
...I personally don't like the EV in my MKIII 1X12 by itself, I find it thin sounding and lacking in the warm mid range.

Yep. After V30s, C90s, and EV12Ls I finalized on a WGS ET-65. Sweet results.

Well,

I tested a Black Shadow MS-12 coming from a MKIIC and find it was an ugly barking speaker... Some kind of "Celestion PittBull Variant"...

I favor the EVM12L vintage or BS version, along with the ALTEC 417-8H vintage. The Eminence ME-12 100PE8 is good but unfortunately it doesn't support the 100W power of my MKIIA : that the reason why I discarded it.

I play Blues, Rhythm'n'Blues, Soul, Santana-like sound choruses and jazz/jazz-fusion sometimes, no metal, no hard-rock, no punk, no grunge. The EVM12L and the ALTEC are to me the undisputed kings of great tone in vintage Boogies, but it's my own advice, given what kind of music I play, indeed.

A+!

DaveP said:
I agree that the EV in a combo can sound thin. I have also had some Ev's in 1x12's that sounded great. I think it depends if it is well broken in. I would
suspect that a lot of them are not due to the power needed to really drive them to get the cone moving.
I like the Eminence MS-12 in the combo sitting on top of a Thiele with an EVM12L.
+1
And will add in bold "depends if it is well broken in."

I'll use the EV in a combo if it's all I'm using.
But overall prefer the EV in a Thiele used in combination with an MS-12 in a 1x12 (or in a combo).

Latest posts

Back