What speaker instead of V30?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DUDE! That's a pretty dark speaker! Gotta break that sucker in! Crank up your clean channel and BANG out some power chords with the neck pickup! Turn up that bass and get that speaker BOUNCIN! I use a bass amp and bass guitar for awhile then go back to the guitar and play hard stacatto chords! I'm sure there's better ways of doin it but the idea is to move that cone and after a few hrs the highend will start to smooth out! I HATE new speakers because the sound harsh and ice-pick-y! My 16yr old vintage 30s sound incredible now! I hated them with a passion 15yrs ago! Good luck and wear earplugs! Lol!

nyeguy said:
DUDE! That's a pretty dark speaker! Gotta break that sucker in! Crank up your clean channel and BANG out some power chords with the neck pickup! Turn up that bass and get that speaker BOUNCIN! I use a bass amp and bass guitar for awhile then go back to the guitar and play hard stacatto chords! I'm sure there's better ways of doin it but the idea is to move that cone and after a few hrs the highend will start to smooth out! I HATE new speakers because the sound harsh and ice-pick-y! My 16yr old vintage 30s sound incredible now! I hated them with a passion 15yrs ago! Good luck and wear earplugs! Lol!

+1

V30's esp. sound kinda "sharp" at first. They require a fair amount of abuse to get where you want 'em. The one cab I have w/ them is just starting to smooth out after 6 years of beating. I actually prefer the Swamp Things with Boogie products because of the BEEFY bottom end. If you want more high's and accentuated mids just dial it up and and some presence. IMHO

domct203 said:
Eminence Delta-Pro 12A. I just threw a quad in my Recto 4x12 and I'm impressed so far. They were described to me as a "poor man's EVM 12L".
I run one of these in a wide body 1x12 cab and it sounds fantastic! It's great for those smaller gigs and rehersals... Heavy as hell tho'... :lol:

scott7d said:
TimeSignature said:
C90 - Black Shadow. Much less trebley/ shrilly/ fuzzy especially at high volumes than a V30

That's what I was going to suggest. I would think that a C90 and a V30 would pair up great.

Been wanting to try that combo in my 4x12 for a long time.
isn't this what's in the road king cabs?

Jimi D said:
I run one of these in a wide body 1x12 cab and it sounds fantastic! It's great for those smaller gigs and rehersals... Heavy as hell tho'... :lol:
[/quote]

Yup, I thought the Recto Cab was heavy before, now it's impossible for me to lift it into the back of the van by myself LOL.

Well worth it IMO. For me the cab went from "great" to "fantastic". The low end has improved 10X for me, as well as a much smoother top end. I can't wait to put a few years abuse through these.

Dom

borisson said:
So im going to swap the top V30 either with Eminence Cannabis Rex or EVM 12L?

what do you think? I want to reduce the treble coming from the cab.

thanks

I was in the same boat as you. I had V30's in my cab and the treble was killing me. I put in 2 Cannabis Rex's and 2 Swamp Thangs and problem solved. The speakers are new and stiff still but already a huge improvement over the V30's.

Once my Mesa Stiletto cab comes in, I was thinking of keeping two V30s, but swapping the other two for either Cannabis Rex's or Swamp Things. Anyone tried either of these combos with their MkV?

I am digging the mark with the legend's in my vader, but something with a bit more bottom end would please me I think

Ok, so now I'm gonna contradict everything I've posted earlier and say, there is NO other speaker for a MkV than the EV12l! Been drivin my wife nuts with that constant speaker changes and the follow up high volume testing! LOL! I've. Gone throught V30s, t75, emi Private Jacks(greenback style) C90 Black Shadow and combinations of all the above! I reallly liked the Eminence PJs mixed with the Celestion t75s but when I threw the EVs in there it was like they were meant to be together! Thick and detailed! Better have your chops together though, this speaker is VERY honest and it let's you know what you guitar sounds like as well as the pups! I gigged on all these speaker combos and I'm sold forever on these EVs! I've had em for 17 years and they've mostly sat in a box and now I'm kickin myself in the *** for not tryin em out earlier. I was afraid they were too loud and too heavy but I honestly don't think they're louder than my old Vintage 30s that i had in there last! Gained a little weight though.

Latest posts

Back