What speaker are you guys using in your DC-5 Combo???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
When I got the DC-5 back, it had a 16 ohm C-90. The amp doesn't have a 16 ohm tap, so it sounded funny.

I put a Celestion Gold in it, and it sounds really nice, but there is breakup on the clean channel at bedroom volumes. It basically took all of the headroom out of the amp.

I tried it through my Lonestar cab with 2 Hellatone 60L's (supposedly a broken in V30 with more bottom and less mids). It sounded much larger and better.

The problem is, I have a 1x12 combo.

What speakers have you guys tried in your combos?

Hey Monsta,

When did you get a DC5? I recall you mentioning in past threads (at least I "think" it was you ;) ) that you always extolled the tonal virtues of the DC10 over the 5 (so while I absolutely love my 5, you are the reasons I always have one eye on the lookout for a 10 head ...your fault, man!).

Anyway, I've always like the stock 8ohm MC90 in the cab ...it just works so well and offers a superbly balanced tone in that widebody cabinet(whereas I am less enamored with the MC90 in the small open-back cabs). But as nice as the MC90 is in my 5 combo, the EV-thiele sitting on top changes everything ...whoa! But admittedly, I don't always care to lug around an extra box, so 90% of the time, I am perfectly content with the nice bottom, clear mids, and smooth top end of the standard MC90. Hope that helps ya.

BTW, as a thread hijack, can you describe exactly what it is you like about the dc10 over the 5 ...curious about what your specific thoughts are, if you don't mind.

Edward

Hey Edward,

I had one for a long time and sold it to a friend, who traded it to another friend, who traded it back to me. Look up the thread titled "Amps are like girlfriends."

I have an 8 ohm C-90 that I might give a try this afternoon. I also have a couple of Mojotone Greyhounds in stock.

BTW, as a thread hijack, can you describe exactly what it is you like about the dc10 over the 5 ...curious about what your specific thoughts are, if you don't mind.

The 10 sounds freakishly huge! It's huge and heavy though.
Lately, I think I really like the 5 more because it sounds darker. The 10 is really bright for some reason, which I can't figure out because it has 2 C-90's in it which seem really dark to me usually.

I like the fact that the 5 can be carried with 1 hand and it's loud enough to gig with. I also have the 3/4 back cab with a C-90 that I will put under it for louder gigs. We just had a baby and I dropped the band for a while, but hope to have another one by the end of summer.

I'm really thinking about selling the DC-10. I just don't need that much power, although it is really cool to stand in front of when it's cranked!

Ahhh, gotcha! So you got her back ...nice :)

Thanks for the feedback! I really shouldn't be "looking" for a 10, given that I already have a MKIII and Fender PRII that I absolutely love and will never rid of since they fill specific tonal needs. And as it is now, I've got my luscious DC5's throttle barely past idle, regardless of whatever drummer or bassist, so there's no real "need" for the DC10's girth. And if I need bottom and/or authority, out comes the Thiele and that issue is instantly solved. I guess it's another classic case of GAS: I love my DC5 so why not get it's bigger brother ...despite the fact I shouldn't :D Thanks for the input, though. And glad you reunited with the old girl!

Edward

I just recently switched out the C-90 for an Eminence Wizard. I 've never really liked the C-90 in my DC-5 combo (and I've had it for @ 12 yrs). I'm pretty happy with the Wizard, it bumped the upper mids and highs a little, and it has a much higher sensitivity,(103 comp ared to 99 for the C-90) The only complaint I have about it is I'm gonna have to relearn my "feedback spots".

I have a DC-5 combo with 1 C90 currently. Just bought a 1x12 Vintage cab from Avatar and loaded a Eminence Cannabis Rex and put my DC-5 into that. Huge sound and great tone and it's made of hemp so don't smoke it. The Cannabis Rex is very efficient and warm sounding. Highly recommend looking into this speaker for any application where you want good head room from your speaker, warm tones, fat bass and no ice pick highs.

So far I've tried the speaker with a Ampeg J-12R 15 watt that is a great combo for what I wanted, additional headroom with a big sound, and my DC-5. Going to try it with my Stiletto today just for grins.

If you haven't done so check out reviews on Harmony Central and listen to Eminence samples. I used to be a Celestion snob thinking they were the rock guitar speaker but have since opened my mind to other options. I do have a Celestion G12H30 that is incredible for blues and classic rock tones and perfect speaker breakup but because it's only 30 watts and I wanted more speaker headroom I'm using the Cannabis Rex. BTW, I do really enjoy the C90's as well. More so than Vintage 30's.

and it's made of hemp so don't smoke it

:lol: :lol: :lol: I don't know what's happening, it gets more quiet with every gig! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've always wondered about those. Another board member has a little Kay amp that I rebuilt into a Princeton for him. He has this little tiny 8" Tone Tubby that sounds incredible.

I might give the Rex a try when I get some money.

I put a Mojotone Greyhound in it for now and have been very pleased. They are sort of a mixture between Jensen and Celestion. Very articulate and punchy, warm, and big sounding. http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.asp?pid=64050&pg=45004&id=9911235

Latest posts

Back