What rack to rack stuff in..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theaero

Reaction score
My rig (will) consist of the following

Monster 3500 Pro (2 Space)
Korg DTR-2000 (1 space)
X-2 XDR Wireless (1 Space)
G-Force (1 Space)
Triaxis (1 Space)
2:90 (2 Space)
Locking Rack Drawer for tubes and cables (2 space)

The question is, what quality rack should I house this stuff in? Something shock mounted, etc? Should I get a 10 space and leave room for adding more stuff? Or is there anything I am missing that I'll want to throw in later? =\

I already have the monster, X2, DTR2k, 2:90. All I need is the Triaxis, Gforce, and the drawer. I think thats all I need to be extremely content with my live setup.

So yea. Any recommendations on other things to stick in my rack and what racks to use (brands, shockmounted or foam or nothing, etc?)

Thanks!

PS: right now everything is in a 6space standard roadready case, and frankly, I don't like it at all. I like ATA-style cases, but theres something about the RR one I dont like at all. I also dislike SKB cases.

I swear by Rock Hard Road Cases

I own lots of their cases and a lot of my friends do too... all of us have been floored with the quality. Also, I know a handful of people who have got road cases made for them by other companies and they have ended up selling them to 'upgrade' to Rock Hard Road Cases.

Here are some pics of my head/rack case before it was shipped to me:

GregWrightcase004.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o64/mappingtheescape/GregWrightcase004.jpg

GregWrightcase002.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o64/mappingtheescape/GregWrightcase002.jpg

And here is the first case I got made ... with my RD Artist in it:

IMG_0099.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o64/mappingtheescape/IMG_0099.jpg

Wow quite pricey. Looks like quality stuff though. Might just be a smidge out of my price range, but I might be willing to take the plunge.

I have another quick question... my rack and a lot of other racks I see have rear rack rails, and I always see pics w/ people having stuff racked on the rear rails. What would they possible use the rear rails for?!

And lastly, my Monster 3500 PRO power condition have a massive power cable and like most conditioners, its completely built into the rack. I keep all the cables plugged in and patched while my rack is in transport and everything. The only cables that come outta my rack are a single midi cable and the giant monster power cable. My worry is that when I leave the power cable wrapped in my rack during transport, it scratches my gear. What do you guys do in situations like this? Theres no way I can really secure it, and unfortuntely the power cable is VERY long, thick, and heavy.

Aw, crap, is that RD ever beautiful. That whole series is one of the few guitars I'd lose one of my Yamahas for.

I personally use my rear rails for 2 rack pieces I built:

***If anyone is interested in getting me to build them a similar WIZZO box, let me know***

Here is the one at the top of my rig... on the back:

n733106214_1290936_763.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o64/mappingtheescape/n733106214_1290936_763.jpg

Here is what it does:
- Power distribution that will eliminate "wall warts" and provide shielded transformers
- Locking power outlets via 5 pin XLR connectors
- Fused mains and primary of transformers
- LED indicators on secondary of transformers
- Front courtesy outlet
- Chassis ground lift
- 1/4" "Y cable" with ground lift on each output (because I need to split my mono signal to the 2 inputs, A and B, on my 2:90 power amp)

At the bottom of my rack, on the back, I have an interface rack which has an AC recept (that accepts normal US power cord... like for your computer) and it has speaker outputs, MIDI in/out with buffer, and a speaker simulator DI. AKA, you won't need your big monster power cable as IT would be plugged into the rear of the interface. I've built them for people who require send/returns for pedal board signal runs as well. Pretty much, it's your patch bay for anything that needs to go to or come from your rack. I'll put up pics sometime if you want.

I like the idea of the interface, but isnt that just an extra thing to plug everything into, therefore potentially degrading the signal? I would love pics of your complete rack to see how everything is wired.

How much do you normally sell the interfaces for?

My rig is undergoing some mods so I have to make some time to rewire a few sections. I'll post some pics when it's all done for sure.

As for the interface price, basically I charge parts and then an hourly rate... obviously, the more extravagent the idea, the more time goes in. If you are really interested, draw up on microsoft paint your idea or throw some questions at me. You can email me at [email protected]

Oh and "losing tone" hasn't been an issue for me. I notice no tone difference or feel loss.

Back